Archives

Josephine McNeill Thurles Town’s Forgotten Diplomat

Josephine McNeill (née Ahearne), the Irish Diplomat, was originally born on March 31st 1895, in Fermoy, County Cork. She was the daughter of James Ahearne (shopkeeper and hotelier) and Ellen Ahearne (née O’Brien). Josephine was educated at Loretto Convent, Fermoy, and later at UCD.  Today in Co Tipperary and indeed in her own native Co Cork its citizens have almost forgotten her varied contribution to twentieth century Irish History.

Equipped with a BA in French and German she began her teaching career, teaching first at the St Louis Convent, Kiltimagh, Co Mayo and later in 1917, here in Thurles at the Ursuline Convent. Josephine was fluent in the Irish language and held a passion for Irish music and literature. While here in Thurles she also took an active part in the cultural side of the Irish independence movement, becoming a member of Cumann na mBan and in 1921 became a member of the executive committee of that same organisation.

It was also while here in Thurles, in 1917, that Josephine first met Pierce McCann, latter president of the East Tipperary executive of Sinn Féin and the Commander of the Tipperary Brigade in the 1916 Easter Rising. By May 1918, she was paying regular visits to Ballyowen House, near Cashel, and they would eventually became engaged just before McCann was arrested by the R.I.C. for the second time.  Following this latter arrest Pierce McCann would die of influenza in Gloucester jail, possibly after it was claimed that a doctor had dosed him too strongly with strychnine on March 6th 1919 in a British nursing home.

Indeed when McCann’s corpse arrived in Dublin, amongst those who carried his coffin from ship to hearse and later to the Dublin / Thurles train, were Harry Boland and Michael Collins. In Dublin his hearse was preceded by a group of over one hundred Volunteers and was followed by another group of fifty, as it wended its way for a Mass held at the Pro-Cathedral. Following this Mass, the cortège and about ten thousand mourners walked through the city centre. On reaching the Quays it is reported that a British officer attempted to halt this cortège to allow a British military truck the first right of way. This officer together with his motorcycle are understood to have found themselves floating in the River Liffey, courtesy of a group of bystanders, because of what was perceived as a lack of respect for the dead.

When McCann’s coffin arrived by train here in Thurles, Volunteers from all over Tipperary were represented and the coffin was removed to the Cathedral of The Assumption, where it was received by the then Archbishop of Cashel and Emly, Dr. John Harty. On Sunday, March 10th, the funeral left Thurles at 2:30pm bound for buried in Dualla, Cashel, County Tipperary. Note the present McCann Barracks in Templemore, County Tipperary, remains named after him.

Later in 1923 Josephine Ahearn would now go on to marry a man, 26 years her senior, one James McNeill, Irish High Commissioner in London from 1923- 1928.  James McNeill would also serve as a member of the committee under Michael Collins, latter then chairman of the Irish Provisional Government, and would also assist in drafting the Constitution of the Irish Free State. Both Josephine and James greatly resented the manner of their treatment by Eamon de Valera when the Office of the Governor General was suppressed  in 1932. However later, while Minister to Switzerland, Josephine put this same anger and  resentments aside, when de Valera visited Switzerland for eye surgery and indeed it is reported that she went to sit with him during this period of convalescence.

Continue reading Josephine McNeill Thurles Town’s Forgotten Diplomat

Thurles & District Tourism Service Providers To Amalgamate

Over 90% representation of the various individual tourism providers in the Thurles & District area turned out on December 5th last, to St Mary’s Famine Museum in Thurles, answering the recent invitation by the Minister of State at the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport Mr Alan Kelly TD, to attend a meeting to discuss the future of tourism in the Thurles area.

The Minister had been anxious to hear from those in attendance, new constructive ideas which could lead to job growth and greater tourism traffic in the Thurles and greater surrounding areas.

Hidden Tipp

Just a few of the many Tourism Service providers and operators who attended a meeting called in the Thurles & District region by Minister of State at the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Mr Alan Kelly TD, & held in St.Mary’s Famine Museum Thurles, on Dec. 5th last.

As a direct result of what Minister Kelly later described as a “more than a positive and constructive meeting,” it was agreed that an umbrella group, formally non-existent in the area, will now be formed using the brand / marketing name “Hidden Tipperary,” to coincide with the recently established website of the same name.  It was also agreed that this newly formed group would work closely together, spreading slowly outwards across the county of Tipperary in an effort to attract a larger visitor-ship from both home and abroad, to what all in attendance agreed was the most unknown, unspoiled and tourism friendly region in Ireland.

Amongst those who spoke, contributing from the floor of the meeting were Mr Tom Gallagher (Holycross Tour Guides), Local Thurles Town Councillor Mrs Evelyn Nevin, Mr Liam O’Donoghue & Mr Seamus King (Lár na Páirce), Una Ryan (Marketing Eye), Stewart Willoughby (St Mary’s Famine Museum), together with representatives from Upperchurch, Loughmore and Cabragh Wetlands Development Associations and speakers from the vast array of local top class restaurants.

Mr Tom Noone who had kindly agreed to conduct this convened gathering called by the Minister, has now been unanimously selected as the groups first incoming Chairperson. In accepting the post Tom spoke passionately of his lifelong love for Tipperary, its people, its beauty and its strong historical tradition.

The next meeting of the now newly formed Hidden Tipperary Group will take place on Monday January 13th next (2014) at 7:00pm in Lár na Páirce, Slievenamon Road,Thurles at the invitation of  Mr Seamus King (Lár na Páirce Chairperson). By this time Minister Kelly is expected to report back on initiatives which he is presently attempting to construct and which he briefly outlined while speaking at this December meeting.

To borrow a phrase from one enthusiastic attendee at this meeting, Mr Tom Gallagher;  “If this group gets off the ground, Mid Tipperary begins a new dawn.”

In the words of the great Partry, Co Mayo born & now Late Monsignor James Horan, parish priest of Knock: “Build it and they will come.”

Calling All Thurles & District Tourism Service Providers

Following a meeting last month with a representative from the Thurles Tourism Group ‘Hidden Tipperary,’ and called by the Minister of State at the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport Mr Alan Kelly TD, an open meeting of Tourism Service Providers are now invited to meet directly with the Minister, in St.Mary’s Famine Museum at 5.30pm on Thursday, December 5th, 2013 next.

Those providing Tourism Service, e.g. Restaurant owners, Fast Food providers, Publicans, Travel Agents, Accommodation providers (Both B&B and Hotel) and those providing /managing local visitor attractions, are all invited to be in attendance.

Those expected to be in attendance will include representation from Lar na Pairce GAA Museum, St.Mary’s Famine Museum, Slattery Museum, Upperchurch Development Association, Hayes Hotel, Cabragh Wetlands Development Group, Holycross Tourism Group, Una Ryan of Marketing Eye, Thurles Chamber of Commerce and Tipperary Tourism Board, to name but a few.

Thurles Town Must Continue To Progress – A Lot Done, More To Do In The Coming Year

The Minister is anxious to hear from those in attendance, new constructive ideas which could lead to job growth and greater tourism traffic in the Thurles and greater surrounding areas.

The venue, St.Mary’s Famine Museum was decided as an appropriate meeting place to enable unfamiliar Tourism Service providers to observe at first hand an attractions readily available to their visitors and situated on their front door. Similar future meetings are expected be organised with Lar na Pairce, Upperchurch, Holycross and Cabragh Wetlands etc.

The Minister is hoping that by this meeting an umbrella group, formally non existent, can now be formed which will work closely together to improve the tourism sector in Thurles and surrounding areas and has committed himself to adding his shoulder to the wheel where possible, in an effort to progress local tourism needs.

The Hidden Tipperary Tourism group state that they strongly support and welcome Minister Kelly’s initiative and look forward to working closely with his department.

It is now hoped that as many Tourism Service Providers as possible will turn out to meet with the Minister.

Directions To Thurles Famine Museum.

(Click on Icon on Map hereunder for Directions & type present position in Box A provided underneath Map.)

[mappress mapid=”32″]

Friday Night – Moonlight Walk – Upperchurch Thurles

“Slowly, silently, now the moon walks the night in her silver shoon,
This way, and that, she peers, and sees, silver fruit upon silver trees.”

(Poem by Walter de la Mare )

Moon-300x214

Photo G.Willoughby

The 15th annual Autumn Challenge organised, last October and organised by John G O’Dwyer and Michael Sutton, (Thurles), in aid of a respite home for special needs children, was an outstanding success. Over 120 walkers, mostly from Mid-Tipperary, gathered in Clifden for this event and all experienced great walking conditions with good weather, a brilliant sing-song and immeasurable camaraderie.

Jimmy Duggan (Thurles) led the nature and heritage trek in the Connemara National Park, an event which is a most popular feature of all challenge weekends.

Ray Creaney led a 20km walk along the Maumeen Pilgrim Path, while Josephine Tobin, John G O’Dwyer and Dan Condren led the mountain walks on Saturday, which included an ascent of Diamond Hill on Sunday.

As a result a great evening is now promised in Upperchurch with €3,200, raised in Clifden, being presented to deserving charities in Kinanne’s Pub at the Autumn Charity Challenge re-union, on Friday next, November 22nd. Full details of the 2014 Kerry Charity Challenge to be held in Dingle Co Kerry is expected to be announced  in Kinanne’s, followed by the customary complimentary tea, coffee and one of Siobáin’s excellent tasty bites.

The Friday evening will begin with a moonlight walk on Knockalough starting from the Upperchurch Community Centre at 7.15pm, led by Carmel Needham. Latter moonlight walk is open to all comers – bring a torch.

Further information is available from Carmel at Tel: 086-2602133.

Upperchurch Walking Weekend

Upperchurch Walking Weekend Programme of Events

Upperchurch

Friday Nov 8th:
Moher-Gortkelly road walk 7 km. Glown-Garnakilka road walk 10 km. Both walks start 7.30 p.m in Upperchurch and will be followed by the reception and official opening in Upperchurch hall.  Traditional music in Kinnane’s afterwards.

Saturday Nov 9th:
10.00 a.m. Hills of Upperchurch walk 18 km.
12.15 p.m. Knockalough-Red Hugh walk 6, 10 or 12 km.
12.30 p.m. Eamon an Chnoic Loop 8 km.

All walks on Saturday start from Upperchurch village. There will be set dancing lessons in Ryans at 4.00 p.m. and traditional music at Jim O’ the Mills at 10.00 p.m..

Sunday Nov 10th:
11.00 a.m. Ragg to Upperchurch walk 15 km (or 8 km loop option) starting from the Ragg Lounge 5 miles from Thurles on the Nenagh Road.
11.30 a.m. Kilcommon Pilgrim Trail 10 km, including option of Mauherslieve summit, starting from Kilcommon, 5 miles west of Upperchurch.
12.00 noon. Three cycles over 25, 50 or 75 km starting Upperchurch.
12.15 p.m. Knockalough-Red Hugh walk 6, 10 or 12 km starting Upperchurch.
12.30 p.m. Eamon an Chnoic Loop 8 km starting Upperchurch.
12.30 p.m. Birchill Nature Trail 8 km Starting from P.J.Ryan’s, Rosmult, 7 miles from Thurles on the Thurles-Upperchurch road.

There will be demonstrations on the New Climbing Wall after all walks on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and a Bush Craft display on Sunday from 2.00pm till 5.00 p.m. The newly developed 1km walk around the local bog is now ready for use also.

For further information visit www.upperchurch.ie or phone 0504 54443 weekdays 10.00am to 2.00pm or 086 0518934 at other times.