Archives

M9 Crash Victim Reportedly Linked To Separate Thurles Garda Investigation

Mr Jeremy O’Brien, aged 18 years, was among five teenagers sadly killed when their BMW, travelling south on the northbound M9, collided head-on with a Hyundai near Moone, Co Kildare.

The crash also left three women and a seven-year-old boy from Carlow seriously injured. They had been travelling to Dublin Airport for a family wedding.

O’Brien, who was suspected of driving the BMW, had reportedly been considered a person of interest in a separate July 15th assault investigation in Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
Reports alleged the incident involved an ongoing dispute and an attack with a slash hook.

No arrest or charge involving O’Brien was reported, and the allegation was never tested or established in court. Garda investigations into the fatal collision and its surrounding circumstances remain ongoing.

I Am Not At War With Anyone.

Lyrics and Vocals: Irish born (Co. Kildare) folk singer-songwriter Kevin Barry Moore better known professionally as Luka Bloom, (younger brother of folk singer Christy Moore).

Luka Bloom.

Written in 2003 as the Iraq War loomed, Luka Bloom’s song offers a quiet but resolute response to the fear and division of its time. Speaking from the perspective of an ordinary Irish citizen, it rejects the rush toward conflict and affirms our shared desire to live together in peace. More than two decades later, its simple message has lost none of its urgency or humanity.

I Am Not At War With Anyone.

Note: Luka Bloom will be performing live at Finn’s Bar, Main Street, Borrisoleigh, Thurles, Co Tipperary, (Eircode E41 K294) on Saturday, August 29th next (2026), Time 8:30pm, Tickets: €25.00.

I Am Not At War With Anyone.

I am not at war with anyone.
I am not at war with anyone.
Go away war planes,
You bring fear and shame,
I am not at war with anyone.
I give my love to Iraq and to Syria.
I give my love to Israel and to Palestine.
We could live as one between the sea and sun.
I am not at war with anyone.
I don’t need to be friends with everyone,
But I’d like to live in peace with everyone.
This rush to war was wrong,
I just sing my song,
I am not at war with anyone.
I risked my life to cross the Mediterranean.
I’d love to go back home and live in peace again.
But now I hope I’ll find the heart of humankind,
‘Cause I am not at war with anyone.
I am not at war with anyone
.

End.

Two Remanded After Woman Allegedly Doused With Petrol In Littleton, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.

Two men have been remanded in custody following an alleged attack on a 65-year-old woman in Littleton, Thurles, County Tipperary.

Mr Jim Bob Keane, aged 27 years, of Derrynaflan Avenue, Littleton, Thurles, and Mr Caylum Meaney, aged 24 years, with an address at McDonagh Terrace, Littleton, Thurles appeared before a special sitting of Fermoy District Court on Tuesday last, August 18th 2026.
Both men are charged with assault causing harm and producing an offensive weapon, namely a pickaxe, during a dispute. They were arrested after Gardaí responded to an incident in Littleton, some 5 miles from Thurles, on Sunday evening last, August 16th.

Garda Mr James Maher told the court that petrol was allegedly poured over the head, face and back of Ms Kathleen Crowe, while she was being restrained. Ms Crowe reportedly heard a lighter clicking behind her and feared she was about to be set alight.
The court heard that a green cigarette lighter was found in Mr Keane’s hand when he was arrested. A pickaxe was also recovered at the scene.

Mr Meaney made no reply when arrested and cautioned, while Mr Keane denied having a pickaxe in his hand.
An off-duty Garda officer, who attended the incident was allegedly threatened, together with his 13-year-old son. The court was told that threats were also made to burn the Garda’s family out of their home. The family reportedly felt unable to remain in their accommodation that night because of these threats.

Inspector Mr James White opposed bail, telling the court that further charges were expected. He said both defendants had been on bail in connection with separate, unrelated matters, when the alleged Littleton incident occurred.
The inspector expressed concern about possible further offending, a recurrence of the dispute and the potential intimidation of witnesses.
Defence solicitor Mr Joseph McMahon highlighted what he described as discrepancies between witness accounts and asked the court to release the two men under strict bail conditions.

Judge Ms Catherine Ryan refused bail and remanded both defendants in custody. They are due to appear again before Nenagh District Court on tomorrow Friday, August 21st.

Government Weighs Early Dáil Recall As Fuel-Tax Deadline Approaches

Government leaders are considering whether to recall the Dáil ahead of schedule as renewed instability in the Middle East raises concerns about fuel prices.

Temporary excise reductions introduced in April are due to be withdrawn gradually from September. The relief amounts to 32 cent per litre of diesel and 27 cent per litre of petrol and formed part of a €750 million package of business supports and cost-of-living measures.

Enterprise Minister Mr Peter Burke indicated that the timetable is being actively reassessed. The international outlook has worsened since the withdrawal schedule was agreed, with developments around the Strait of Hormuz contributing to uncertainty in global energy markets.

The Dáil is currently scheduled to return on September 16th next,. however, an earlier sitting may be required if the Government decides that legislation is needed to postpone the planned excise increases.
Rising costs are already placing additional pressure on agriculture and the wider economy. The net price of marked gas oil, commonly known as green diesel, has increased from about 94 cent to €1.24 per litre, a rise of approximately 30%.
Any extension of the fuel-tax relief would also have budgetary implications. The Government is preparing an overall Budget 2027 package worth more than €8 billion, including €1.5 billion for income-tax measures and an anticipated spending increase of around 6%.

Ministers are also examining ways to lower grocery prices by reducing transport, production and distribution costs. Because fuel expenses affect farming, manufacturing and the movement of goods, further increases could feed through to prices paid by consumers.

No final decision has been made on either the excise timetable or an early Dáil recall. Both options remain under consideration as the Government monitors international developments and prices at Irish fuel pumps.

Death Of Kitty Barrett, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.

It was with a great sadness that we learned of the death, today Thursday 20th August 2026 of Mrs Kitty Barrett, (née Broderick), St Jude’s, Clongour, Thurles, Co. Tipperary and formerly of The Ragg, Bouladuff, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.

Pre-deceased by her husband Frank, sisters Betty (Johnson), Margaret (Ryan) and Pauline (Taylor) and brother Con; Mrs Barrett passed away peacefully while in the care of staff at Tipperary University Hospital, South Tipperary.

Her passing is most deeply regretted, sadly missed and lovingly remembered by her sorrowing family; daughter Fiona (Mulcahy), sons Shane, Emmet, Proinsias and Pádraig, adored grandchildren, great-grandchildren, son-in-law Kevin, daughters-in-law Anke, Maria and Julie, sister Mary (Murphy), brothers Austin and PJ, nephews, nieces, sisters-in-law Bridget and Maureen, brother-in-law John (Dolan), extended relatives, neighbours and friends.

Requiescat in Pace.

Funeral Arrangements.

The earthly remains of Mrs Barrett will repose at Hugh Ryan’s Funeral Home, Slievenamon Road, Thurles, (Eircode E41 CP59) on Saturday afternoon, August 22nd, from 5:00pm until 7:00pm. same evening.
Her remains will be received into the Cathedral of the Assumption, Cathedral Street, Thurles, (Eircode E41 A528) on Sunday morning, August 23rd at 10:30am to further repose for Requiem Mass at 11:00am, followed by interment, immediately afterwards in St Patrick’s Cemetery, Moyne Road, Lognafulla, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.

For those persons who would wish to attend Requiem Mass for Mrs Barrett, but for reasons cannot, same can be viewed streamed live online, HERE.

The extended Barrett and Broderick families wish to express their appreciation for your understanding at this difficult time, and have made arrangements for those persons wishing to send messages of condolence, to use the link shown HERE.