The Central Criminal Court has heard that “no one knows exactly what happened” on the night a 32-year-old Polish man died, following an incident at a house in Co Tipperary.
Mr Tomasz Rozpeda, aged 29, of no fixed abode, previously pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Mr Maciej Nowak, who died at Ballycranna, Kilross, Co Tipperary, during the early hours of December 27th, 2023.
During the sentencing hearing today Tuesday, the court heard that both men had consumed large quantities of alcohol and drugs, while socialising together on St Stephen’s Day. A toxicology report showed Mr Nowak had an extremely high level of amphetamines in his system, close to a fatal level, although medical experts ruled this out as the cause of death.
The court heard Mr Rozpeda called emergency services and claimed his friend had “gone crazy”, hitting himself and smashing items around the house. However, pathologists later determined that Mr Nowak died from blunt force trauma to the head and neck, injuries which were not consistent with self-inflicted harm.
Medical evidence revealed Mr Nowak suffered extensive injuries, including dozens of bruises and trauma caused by the brain twisting within the skull. Gardaí also found blood-stained broken bottles scattered across the kitchen floor of the house.
Prosecution counsel told the court that CCTV footage showed the two men together at an Applegreen service station outside Tipperary town, before returning to Mr Nowak’s home. Additional evidence included phone calls and voice messages sent by Mr Rozpeda during the night, in which he reportedly told friends he had “f**ked up” and that an accident had happened.
Gardaí later arrested Mr Rozpeda, who initially denied responsibility and attempted to distance himself from the incident. Investigators said a number of untruths were told during interviews.
Victim impact statements were read to the court from Mr Nowak’s sister and fiancée. His sister described learning of her brother’s death as the moment her “world came to a standstill”, while his fiancée said she had lost “the love of her life” and struggled to cope emotionally since the tragedy.
The court also heard that Mr Nowak was a father of three children and had been due to marry in June 2024.
Defence counsel said the men had been friends for approximately ten years and there had been no previous animosity between them. He described the events as a tragic escalation during a night where both men had consumed substances “to excess”.
Counsel for Rozpeda apologised on behalf of his client and said there was no evidence that he had brought a weapon to the house or intended serious violence.
The Director of Public Prosecutions accepted the guilty plea to manslaughter, with the original murder charge set aside.
Ms Justice Eileen Creedon remanded Mr Rozpeda in custody ahead of sentencing on July 6 next.
Something is deeply wrong, when Ireland tolerates terrorist symbols but ignores the murder of Private Seán Rooney.
Private Seán Rooney was not a politician, activist or a celebrity; he belonged to a far higher order of human achievement and character. He was a 24-year-old Irish soldier from Donegal serving his country on a United Nations peacekeeping mission in Lebanon. By all accounts he was courageous, decent and deeply committed to protecting his fellow soldiers.
Private Seán Rooney, Irish Soldier Murdered by Hezbollah in Lebanon.
On December 14th 2022, just 11 days before Christmas, while travelling in a clearly marked UN vehicle near the Hezbollah stronghold of Al-Aqbiya, Private Seán Rooney and his colleagues came under sustained gunfire from Hezbollah-linked attackers. Seán, sadly, was killed trying to protect his comrades, while another Irish soldier was seriously injured.
The aftermath of this event has been a grotesque insult to his family and indeed to the Island of Ireland itself. The main suspect, Hezbollah member Mohammad Ayyad, was eventually convicted and sentenced in his absence after repeatedly avoiding court appearances. He still remains at large today, after previously being released on “medical grounds.” Meanwhile, others involved received sentences so absurdly lenient that even the Irish Government publicly condemned them as unacceptable. Private Seán Rooney’s mother correctly described the process as a “sham trial” and said justice had neither been done nor even seen to be done.
While Seán Rooney’s family continue to fight for accountability, Ireland has witnessed crowds marching openly through Dublin and Cork waving Hezbollah and Hamas flags, latter organisations synonymous with sectarian violence, terrorism, hostage-taking and the murder of civilians.
Perhaps nothing captures the moral confusion of our modern-day Ireland more than the sight of Irish Tricolours being waved beside Hezbollah and Hamas flags on the streets of Dublin and Cork, as though the values represented by our national flag are somehow compatible with organisations linked to terrorism, sectarian hatred and the murder of an Irish peacekeeper, Private Seán Rooney.
For Seán Rooney’s family, and for many decent Irish people, that image is not “solidarity” or “activism.” It is a profound national disgrace and an insult to the memory of a young Irish soldier who died serving under the UN flag at the hands of Hezbollah-linked gunmen.
What is truly repellent is not only that these flags appear, but that so many so-called and self-appointed champions of “human rights” refuse to condemn them. Many politicians, activists and celebrity figures appear far more interested in performative anti-Israel activism than in showing even basic solidarity with the family of an Irish peacekeeper, murdered by extremists, linked to Hezbollah. That silence is not moral courage; it is moral bankruptcy.
Jerome Lawrence rightly warned in his 1955 play, “Inherit the Wind”, that: “Fanaticism and ignorance is forever busy, and needs feeding.”
That is exactly what we are witnessing today. Fanaticism survives when hatred becomes fashionable, when ideological tribalism replaces moral consistency, and when people excuse or romanticise violent extremism because it aligns with their political worldview. Bigotry is not confined to race or religion; it also includes the irrational hatred and dehumanisation of anyone considered politically inconvenient, including Israelis, Jews, or even Irish soldiers whose deaths disrupt a preferred narrative.
Supporting innocent Palestinians does not require anyone to glorify Hamas or Hezbollah. But too many people in Ireland have crossed that line. They excuse terrorist symbolism, ignore antisemitism when it comes disguised as activism, and remain conspicuously silent about the murder of Private Seán Rooney because acknowledging it would force them to confront uncomfortable truths about the movements they openly, through ignorance, tolerate.
The Rooney family deserved national outrage, unity and relentless demands for justice. Instead, they got evasions, hypocrisy and silence from people who claim to stand against violence and extremism; latter a disgrace on modern Ireland.
New figures released by the Department of Justice and An Garda Síochána show that the number of Garda members assigned to Roads Policing Units has fallen by almost 40% since 2009. The total number of specialist personnel dropped from 1,046 to 645 by March this year; a reduction of 401 officers dedicated to policing Irish roads.
Dublin experienced some of the steepest declines, with roads policing numbers nearly halving over the period. One Dublin division recorded a 59% drop, leaving just 11 specialist Gardaí and two road policing vehicles covering the area.
Other regions also saw significant reductions, including Sligo/Leitrim, where staffing levels fell from 34 officers to 14. Limerick was the only area to record a slight increase in personnel since 2009.
Road safety advocacy groups described the falling numbers as deeply concerning, warning that reduced enforcement capacity impacts road safety efforts nationwide. Campaigners said roads policing units are struggling due to limited resources and staffing pressures, and believe enforcement on Irish roads has been weakened at a time when offences are increasing. Recent figures show that more than 211,000 vehicles on Irish roads were uninsured or unregistered last year, roughly one in every 15 vehicles nationwide. Despite Gardaí carrying out over one million vehicle checks during the first three months of 2026, more than 5,000 vehicles were still seized for having no insurance during that short period alone. Thousands of additional summonses were also issued.
In response, An Garda Síochána stated that all Garda members contribute to road traffic enforcement, including those outside dedicated Roads Policing Units. According to the organisation, non-specialist personnel accounted for a majority of DUI detections, vehicle detentions, and checkpoints carried out last year.
The force also said there is no policy aimed at reducing roads policing numbers and noted that more than 80 new members have been assigned to roads policing duties over the past 18 months. However, Garda management acknowledged that staffing increases have not yet delivered the “significant uplift” desired in roads policing capacity
Residents in Thurles are being urged to remain vigilant and ensure all vehicles are locked and parked in secure areas, following a spate of thefts on the west side of the town over the weekend.
It is understood that the thieves targeted several cars during the early hours, in particular checking vehicles for access. In at least one incident, the contents of a car boot were emptied, with expensive items reportedly stolen.
The suspects are alleged to have been operating as a pair shortly before 2:00am on the morning in question.
Local residents are now being asked to check their CCTV for suspicious activity and are warned not to leave valuables in vehicles and to report any suspicious activity immediately to Gardaí.
Gardaí are reminding motorists in particular to:
► Always lock vehicles, even when parked outside their homes. ► Remove valuables and expensive equipment from cars. ► Park vehicles in well-lit or secure locations where possible. ► Stay alert to unusual activity in residential areas late at night.
Anyone with information over last weekend is asked to contact An Garda Síochána at Thurles Garda Station on 0504 251.
A career that challenges you, rewards you, and gives you the opportunity to make a real difference every single day.
An Garda Síochána has officially launched its latest recruitment campaign, with applications now open until June 3rd at 3:00pm. Whether your interests lie in community policing, roads policing, detective work, cybercrime, the dog unit, public order, or specialist support units, policing today offers a wide range of exciting and meaningful career paths.
Successful applicants will receive professional training at the Garda College, gain valuable qualifications, and join a modern organisation dedicated to protecting and supporting communities across Ireland. The campaign also highlights the importance of diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds and experiences.
If you are looking for a career with purpose, teamwork, progression, and the chance to positively impact people’s lives, this could be the opportunity for you.
This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.AcceptRead More
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Privacy Overview
This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.
Recent Comments