Archives

One Valuable Vintage Picture Postcard Of Thurles.

Perhaps one of the most valuable vintage picture postcards of Thurles, Co. Tipperary, currently owned or sought by collectors, is the picture featured here below. Same is usually entitled/labelled “Ursuline Convent, Castle and Cathedral Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland”.

So why is this vintage postcard so highly prized by collectors, I hear you ask? Take a look at it again, and see if you can guess.

Yes, in reality this image of course does not actually exist. See existing picture hereunder, taken just yesterday 19th August, 2020.

Picture courtesy G. Willoughby

This monochrome vintage picture postcard, photographed around possibly the beginning of the 20th century is indeed a photomontage made up of a series of 2 or perhaps 3 photographs, unless of course our wonderful picturesque Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary building, is slowly slipping eastward, sitting as it does on the edge of the townsland known as “Monacocka”, [Irish – ‘The Shitty Bog’.]

The pictures are indeed the work of a skilled photographer and with the dexterity of an even more experienced photographic printer, sometime later.

From close examination the picture is probably made up of 3 pictures using 3 separate negative of; (1) The River Bed, (2) The Castle, and (3) The Ursuline Convent and Thurles Cathedral, latter one of the few now remaining tourist attractions in Thurles town.

Assuming that the image was printed at the beginning of the 20th century, the printer would have exposed in full, each of the images first, before cutting out masks to cover off and montage each separate image into just one picture.
In the days before the computer editing programme ‘Adobe Photoshop’, same would not have been an easy task to undertake, as each of the 3 images montaged together, would have required different exposure times and precise masking.

Gelatin-coated silver bromide printing paper was coming on stream from 1886, therefore it is most likely that one of the modern upright type photo enlargers, which came into production around 1921, (before ceasing in 2005), was used.

Whatever the time and date of the photographs manufacture, the Cathedral of the Assumption clock informs us that the photographs were taken close to 3:00pm in the afternoon.

Associated Historic Nonsence
The finished historic picture which shows buildings stretched / existing between the 15th century castle and the river however, does make a total nonsense of the claim that “Chieftains would drop fishing lines into the river Suir below. Whoever caught the biggest fish would lay claim to the favourite Wench of the castle.”

This nonsense information exists, suggested to visitors, on a misleading stone plaque erected in 2002, attached to the castle wall. The plaque is long regarded as being totally disrespectful of women, suggesting that rape and / or indeed prostitution was accepted as the ‘order of the day’, during the 15th, 16th and 17th century, or even that women were present in the castle building, itself designed to collect tolls and if necessary defend the river crossing against attack.

This plaque should now be removed, while Liberty Square is being upgraded. Other information on this plaque is also totally misleading to the very few tourists left grinning, that actually do find their way into the Premier County and into Thurles.

Tipperary Heritage Sites Reopen Today

The Chairman of Fáilte Ireland has resigned from his 6 year held post after it emerged he had travelled to Italy with his family on holiday.

The Minister for Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sport and the Gaeltacht Ms Catherine Martin has rightly accepted Mr Michael Cawley’s resignation, after it was confirmed he had indeed been on holiday in Italy, despite the Government’s request to avoid non-essential travel abroad.

Tipperary Heritage Week 2020

Autumn near Cahir Castle, on the river Suir at Cahir, Co. Tipperary.

Heritage Week starts today, Saturday 15th August 2020 and people are encouraged to take this opportunity to visit their local sites.

Fine Gael TD Mr. Patrick O’ Donovan, latter Minister of State with responsibility for the Office of Public Works, has stated that a visit to any Heritage site is a great day out for all the family. He continued “We have all endured a lot in recent months and I’d encourage everyone to bear in mind that many of the wonderful ancient places around Tipperary, like the Rock of Cashel are open to visitor again and although there are access restrictions in some cases, this is because the OPW has had to make sure that people can stay safe during their visit and enjoy these beautiful places without fear.”

The Minister also confirmed that the OPW sites in Cahir, which have been delayed in reopening, will now be open to visitors again; the grounds of the Swiss Cottage site will be open from today Saturday 15th August and Cahir Castle will reopen from next Thursday next, August 20th.

The Minister has also confirmed that Cahir Castle is about to welcome a major film production which will be shooting there later in September, and some set preparation are happening early next week.
In relation to Cahir Castle, the Minister also stated, “I am happy to confirm that the public will again be able to see the Castle grounds from the 20th onwards and people may also be happy to know that admission will be completely free.”

Note: In the past (1981) Cahir Castle was used as a location for a battle scene in the film Excalibur. The castle was also used as a location for the television series The Tudors and The Green Knight.

Thurles Hospital Of The Assumption Graveyard Remembered 2010

May I first ask our readers to again refresh your memory in relation to the case of Mary Ellen Morris, Thurles, Co. Tipperary; the story of which can be located HERE.

Back in June 8th 2020 last, we asked if any of our readers could shed further light on those named in that story or indeed were any of you in anyway possibly related to either of these families named?

We still would love to hear from you, as indeed would family relatives living currently today, and who are actively tracing their Irish roots.

Back 10 years ago, in early September, the somewhat forgotten burial ground, which can be found to the rear of the Community Hospital of the Assumption, (once the Thurles Workhouse); had sad memories rekindled with the erection of a memorial headstone placed in this cemetery.

I recently unearthed my photographs of that same event, having been contacted by Morris family relatives, which I have now refreshed as a slide show to possibly aid further recollection. Alas, some of the congregation which can be seen back then have since passed on, but thankfully many others are still with us.

This monument was kindly erected by the local Sisters of Mercy Order of Nuns at a special Mass and blessing ten years ago in September 2010.

Sr. Mary Barry back then stated: “On behalf of the Sisters of Mercy, and the Staff of the Community Hospital of the Assumption, I extend a warm welcome to you all. Today, as we gather in the graveyard, we remember and pray for all those who are laid to rest here, down through the years. We trust that this headstone will now become a focal point where we can visit, pray and remember.”

The original old Thurles Union Workhouse, which many Thurles residents will well remember, had been originally built in 1840 under plans designed by British Architect, George Wilkinson. The building, designed to accommodate 700 paupers, like all such workhouses then erected, had the appearance of being a grim institution, with conditions inside and out, designed to discourage all but the destitute from attempting to seek refuge within. Nevertheless, it did made some contribution down through the years, especially to the saving of lives from starvation during that period of Irish history known as the Great Famine years, (1845-1849).

Over 15,000 persons were assisted with Indian meal (Ground Maize) in just one week, in 1848 and as many as 3,732 were housed here and in other associated rented buildings in the area back in 1850.

To give us some understanding as to the hardship then being experienced, we must look at primary sources still available. In the minutes of the Thurles and Rahealty Famine Food Committee book, 1846-1847; we can read a report dated 11th February 1847, sent to the British Association for the Relief of Extreme Distress in Ireland and Scotland, shown here as follows:

“Of the population of the united parishes of Thurles and Rahealty 8,000 are on the relief list. The majority obtain very inadequate relief by employment on Public Works. There are about 300 destitute families having no person to work, to whom gratuitous relief must be given; there are other families varying from 10 to 12 having only one member able to work, whose wages 10 pence a day, would not be adequate to the support of two persons at the present famine prices of food. The poor house (Hospital of The Assumption) built to accommodate 700 has now stowed within 940 and there cannot be any more admissions and groups, who cannot be admitted, are to be seen shivering in the cold and wet, anxiously expecting the fragments of cold stirabout, that remains after the inmate pauper meal. We have lived to see the poor sitting at the pauper’s gate, among the crumbs that fall from the paupers table. We have not had any deaths from actual starvation but numerous deaths have occurred from severe and long continual privation. The weekly average of deaths has increased fivefold.”

It was not until November 5th 1877, however, that four nuns from the Sisters of Mercy, set out from Doon, Co Limerick for Thurles town Co. Tipperary, to begin what was to become a long and beneficial association with this once workhouse. They came not to take charge, but to work under the Master and Matron of the Workhouse, Mr and Mrs Pat Russell until 1922, when the Order’s Sister Ita became the first nun to be appointed Matron. These newly arrived Doon Nuns were soon to raise hygiene standards by cleanliness through the scrubbing of floors etc. and bringing about other major change for good through leadership by example and through their rolls as both workers and carers.

Under the management of Sister Ita, the name of the workhouse was changed to “The County Home” and came under the jurisdiction of Tipperary Co. Council. In 1954 the name was again changed, this time to the ‘Hospital of the Assumption‘. Flower beds were introduced to enhance its still grim, grey looking facade, by Sister Baptist and her ‘men’, as she referred to them, latter her resident patients. Occupational Therapy for patients was also undertaken by Sister Bonaventure.

In 1960 the Health board under Mr P.J. Flynn, took on the responsible for the removal of the very high walls, which were in being, simply to keep inmates within the grounds. These were then replaced with railings possibly showing the true building facade to many outsiders for the first time.

Mr Larry Moloney Clerical officer, latter who died in 1970, was remembered at this event, 10 years ago, as being of tremendous help to the Mercy order. Mrs Betty Moore would be the first secular matron to be later appointed.

In February 2006 the old hospital building was replaced with the new present state of the art Community Hospital, which contains accommodation space for up to 72 patient beds.

The celebration Mass for the memorial ceremony 10 years ago was conducted by celebrant Rev. Fr. Jimmy Donnelly, ably assisted by Rev. Fr. Gerard Hennessey, then both in charge of Bohernanave Parish Church.

Music and song for the event was originally supplied by the wonderful Thurles Tenor, Mr Michael Molumby; Mrs Antonette Ruth; with the magical fingers of Mrs Mary Rose McNally on keyboard and violin.
Alas, no sound recording was taken on that day. However, thanks to the courtesy and generosity of The Cullinane Gospel Band, (Telephone 087 6729242), we have been permitted to use sound from a recent charity CD produced by them.

Statues Of Nubian Slaves – Tipperary Connection.

“Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath”,Exodus 20:4

Before you read the text hereunder, let it be known to all that I, the administrator, support individual freedom and view slavery as an abominable crime against humanity.

Readers will be aware from other sources, that four statues, which have stood at the front of ‘The Shelbourne’ hotel in Dublin, for some 153 years, have now been removed.

The statues depicting two Nubian princesses from the lower Nile and their slave girls each holding torches above their heads, were first erected outside the hotel in 1867, four years after the death of the original owner, Tipperary man Martin Burke, latter the man who first established the hotel in 1824.

We understand the statues cast in bronze and commissioned from the studio of MM Barbezat of Paris, were recently removed by hotel management due to their association with slavery, with the slave girl statues having manacles around their feet.

Nubia is a region along the Nile river encompassing the area between Aswan in southern Egypt and Khartoum in central Sudan. Interesting to note, that between the years 639 and 646 the Nubians themselves, already involved in the burgeoning East African slave trade, agreed to trade 360 slaves, annually, to their northern neighbours, in exchange for spices and grains.

Religion – Its View On Slavery.

Since Bible times, those expressing deep religious conviction have justified continued ownership of slaves by referring to the Apostle Paul’s Epistle to the Ephesians, (see Chapter 6: Verse 5): “Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.”

In the case of females; quotes from St. Paul (Ephesians Chapter 5: Verses 22 & 23) were also used; “Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife”.

Other such justification can be found at Genesis Chapter 9: Verse 20-27.

As well as removing / destroying statues connected to slavery, should we also be removing text from the Bibles within all of our Christian churches.

Ireland & Early Slave Trade

From the 9th to the 12th century Viking Dublin, in particular, was a major slave trading center. In 870, Vikings, led by Olaf the White and Ivar the Boneless, besieged and captured the stronghold of Dumbarton Castle, the capital of the Kingdom of Strathclyde, in Scotland. The very next year they took most of the inhabitants to the Dublin slave markets.

When the Vikings first established themselves in Dublin they began a slave market that would come to sell slaves (thralls) captured both here in Ireland and taken from other countries including France and Spain. Irish slaves were sent as far away as Iceland, where Gaels formed some 40% of the founding population.

In 875, Irish slaves in Iceland launched Europe’s largest slave rebellion since the end of the Roman Empire, when the slaves of Hjörleifr Hróðmarsson’s killed him, before fleeing to Vestmannaeyjar on the south coast of Iceland. Indeed the name of the wet archipelago of Vestmannaeyjar is named after these Gaelic slaves who had been captured into slavery by Norsemen. The Old Norse word Vestmenn, means “West Men”, and had been applied to the Irish, and retained in Icelandic even though Iceland is situated further west than Ireland.

Not long afterwards Ingólfur Arnarson, blood brother of the now killed Hjörleifur, arrived in Iceland. The Irish slaves were quickly tracked down to Vestmannaeyjar and killed in retribution, hence the name Vestmannaeyjar meaning ‘the islands of the west men’.

Slavery became more widespread in Ireland throughout the 11th century, as Dublin became the biggest slave market in Western Europe, with its main sources of supply coming from the Irish hinterland, e.g Wales and Scotland.

From 1080, the Irish slave trade began to decline, after William the Conqueror took control of the English and Welsh coasts, banning slavery in its territory in 1102.

The Shelbourne Hotel – The Tipperary Connection

The Shelbourne Hotel on the north side of St. Stephen’s Green in Dublin was first established in 1824 by a Tipperary man, aged in his 40’s, named Martin Burke.

Almost nothing is known about Martin Burke’s early history; we do know however that he was a Tipperary man, born about 1788, a practising Catholic by birth and his death was reported in a Clonmel newspaper, (Tipperary Free Press) on Tuesday January 20th 1863, [The same day that Union General Ambrose Burnside’s Army of the Potomac began his offensive against General Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia, known as the ‘Mud March’ in the American Civil war, and which led to the emancipation of four million slaves]

A mystery remains as to where Martin Burke got his start-up money for what was then an enormous transaction and where or even when he acquired the necessary training to be a hotel manager. He may have had connections with the Honourable East India Company, trading into the East Indies and certainly sold private land prior to his new venture.

Martin’s ambition was to open a hotel in Dublin that would, as he stated “Woo genteel custom who wanted solid, comfortable and serviceable accommodation at a fashionable address.”

Burke to achieve his ambition, leased three houses situated side by side; No.27, No.28 and No.29 St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin. The buildings, then situated in one of the most fashionable parts of Dublin were taken over, “in consideration of a down payment of £1,000 and the promise of a further £2,000 at a later date and a yearly rent of £300,” with Burke and his future heirs being granted the leasehold interest for 150 years.

Martin Burke now sets about turning these three buildings into the quality licensed accommodation holder and hostelry that has been his long awaited dream.

His shrewd marketing ability soon came to the fore in the chosen name attributed to his new venture. Instead of calling it Bourke’s Hotel, he named his new enterprise after William Petty, 1st Marquess, 2nd Earl of Shelburne, Prime Minister of Great Britain (1782 – 83) and who had succeeded in securing peace with America during the final months of the American War of Independence. But Burke shrewly took the liberty of adding an ‘o’ into the name’s spelling, thus instantly linking the hotel with the fame and standards of the late Lord Shelburne, while also attracting the immediate attention of the then ruling ascendancy classes.

Within a year of its opening ‘The Shelbourne Hotel’ was the first hotel to install a gas lighting system lately arrived in Dublin, [The first piped-gas lamp appeared in Dublin in 1825]. The Shelbourne Hotel was now firmly established as a favourite of visitors “doing the season,” and stood proudly at the centre of Irish upper class society.

Historically, “The Season” ran from April to August; latter which marks the beginning of the shooting season. Here, upper class Society would retire to the country to shoot fowl during the autumn and go hunting foxes during the winter, before coming back to the city again with the onset of spring, to hold débutante balls, dinner parties, large charity events and take part in political activity.

It is estimated today that nearly 40 million people worldwide, still live in slavery, a small percentage of which reside in our Ireland of today.

Irish COVID-19 Oral History Project

Dublin City University this month has launched the Irish COVID-19 Oral History Project. Same focuses on orally archiving the Irish lived experience of the COVID-19 pandemic, for historical purposes.

Led by Ms Caitriona Ni Cassaithe and Professor Ms Theo Lynn, the project is intended to curate a collection of oral histories, detailing the Irish experience of the COVID-19 pandemic and how Irish communities are living through it, both at home and abroad.

These findings are intended to be used by historians, researchers and policymakers in years to come to inform responses to future pandemics.

It was initially inspired by work being undertaken by Professor Jason Kelly (IUPUI) on the US-based COVID-19 Oral History Project, a partner project of ‘A Journal of the Plague Year’, and efforts are being coordinated with the IUPUI project.

All data will be stored in Ireland and managed by DCU, but will be shared with the wider research community, including IUPUI, over time on an open access basis.

The team behind the oral history project are asking the general public to go to the project website, View HERE, record their answers to the questions asked and upload them.

For those who cannot record their submission for whatever reason, there is an option to submit a written response on the website.

Caitríona Ní Cassaithe, from the School of STEM Education, Innovation & Global Studies, stated “History is experienced and viewed differently by the various people who shape it and are impacted by it. Our current moment in history is one that will be debated, discussed and contemplated for decades, if not centuries to come.
Oral histories can be used to give a voice to the silent or neglected Irish communities – those people whose voices are not always heard in history.”