Archives

Tipperary Man Pleads Guilty To Attempted Murder In Ballylooby Village.

A 29-year-old Tipperary man has pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to the attempted murder of Mr Patrick Williams, in Ballylooby last year.

Mr Luke Caplice, of Knockane, Ballylooby, Co Tipperary, entered the guilty plea on Friday, July 31, to attempting to murder Mr Williams at Knockane, Cruboge, Tipperary, on October 11th, 2025.

Previous court reports stated that Mr Williams, who was then aged 42, suffered serious burn injuries after being doused with petrol and set alight. He reportedly spent several weeks in hospital receiving treatment.

The court heard that Mr Caplice is currently being held in Limerick Prison, but is “anxious to be sentenced in Dublin”.

Mr Justice Paul McDermott adjourned the case until November 2nd, 2026, and directed that a victim impact statement be prepared ahead of sentencing.

A second man was previously charged in connection with the incident. Those proceedings are separate, and he is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

Born Clothing Group, Including Former Thurles Outlet, At Centre Of €1m High Court Claim.

The Born Clothing Group, Including Former Thurles Outlet, now at Centre of €1m Thai Villas High Court Claim.

The collapsed Born Clothing group, which previously operated a store in Thurles Shopping Centre, County Tipperary, is at the centre of High Court proceedings concerning the alleged use of almost €1 million in company funds to purchase two luxury villas in Thailand.
The retail group operated 15 shops around Ireland before entering liquidation with reported debts of €7.82 million. This included approximately €2.2 million owed to the Irish Revenue Commissioners.

Thurles Shopping Centre, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.

The allegations have been made by the company’s joint liquidators, Mr David O’Connor and Mr Ian Barrett. They claim that Mr John Curley, whom they describe as the group’s de facto managing director and “controlling mind”, used company money to acquire the Thai properties for his personal benefit, while the businesses were experiencing serious financial difficulties.
Mr Curley strongly disputes the liquidators’ account. He maintains that the properties were purchased under a voluntary co-investment arrangement with the company. He claims that he contributed €220,000 and was entitled to a 30 per cent interest in the villas, although the properties were registered solely in his name.

The liquidators allege that various payments totalling close to €1 million were transferred from the company between April 2022 and November 2024 to fund the purchases.
One of the properties is reportedly believed to have generated rental income of approximately €3,505 per month through the Kamala Falls Residential Resort.

Mr Curley has said that he was an employee of an associated company, Elland Distributors Ltd, earning €24,000 annually, and that he acted under the instructions of those controlling the business.
However, the liquidators claim that he exercised substantial influence over Born Clothing’s daily operations. They say this included dealing with staff, negotiating with landlords and providing personal guarantees connected with company financing.
Mr Curley had previously served as a company director before resigning in 2011.

The court was also told that he had the use of a BMW 7 Series company car reportedly worth approximately €110,000. The liquidators believe the vehicle remains in his possession.
Born Clothing’s sole registered director at the time of liquidation was Joan Lynch. According to the liquidators, Ms Lynch has said that she knew nothing about the alleged co-investment arrangement involving the Thai villas.

At a one-sided preliminary hearing on Friday, Judge Brian Cregan permitted the liquidators to serve proceedings at short notice. They are seeking injunctions preventing Mr Curley from selling or otherwise disposing of the villas, along with declarations that he holds the properties on trust for the company.
No final findings have been made against Mr Curley, and the allegations remain strongly contested.

The matter is due to return before a vacation sitting of the High Court on August 12th 2026.

The case will be of particular local interest in Thurles and across County Tipperary, where Born Clothing formerly operated from Thurles Shopping Centre before the nationwide closure of the retail group.

Death Of Liam Glasheen, Formerly Of Thurles, Co. Tipperary.

It was with a great sadness that we learned of the death, yesterday Thursday 30th July 2026, of Mr Liam Glasheen, Ashbrook Park, Ennis Road, Limerick City, Co. Limerick and formerly of Killenaule, Thurles, Co. Tipperary and Castleisland, Co. Kerry.

Pre-deceased by his parents Bridget and Michael Glasheen; Mr Glasheen passed away peacefully, at University Hospital Limerick, surrounded by his loving family.

His passing is most deeply regretted, sadly missed and lovingly remembered by his sorrowing family; loving wife Helen, son Philip, daughter Fiona, grandchildren Cora, Shay and Christina, his loving brothers Tom, John and Michael, sisters Kathleen and Marion, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, nieces, nephews, extended relatives, neighbours and friends.

Requiescat in Pace.

Funeral Arrangements.

The earthly remains of Mr Glasheen will repose at Cross’s Funeral Home, Lower Gerald Griffin Street, Irishtown, Co. Limerick on Tuesday afternoon, August 4th, from 4:30pm until 6:00pm, followed by removal to Our Lady of the Rosary Church, Ennis Road, Farranshore More, Co. Limerick, same evening.
Requiem Mass will be offered for Mr Glasheen on Wednesday morning, August 5th, at 11:00am, followed by a service of Cremation in Shannon Crematorium, Illaunmanagh, Shannon, Co. Clare, (Eircode V14 PV30), at 1:00pm.

For those persons who would wish to attend Requiem Mass for Mr Glasheen, but for reasons cannot, same can be viewed streamed live online, HERE.

The extended Glasheen family wish to express their appreciation for your understanding at this difficult time, and have made arrangements for those persons wishing to send messages of condolence, to use the link shown HERE.

Note Please: Family flowers only. Donations in lieu, if desired, to a charity of your choice.

Jarlath Burns Pledges To Help Restore Semple Stadium’s Proud Standing.

GAA President Jarlath Burns has pledged to do everything within his power to help secure a brighter future for Semple Stadium, during the remainder of his term in office.

The Armagh native made the commitment at the unveiling of the new “Ár gCluichí Féin” statue at the historic Thurles venue yesterday.

With Semple Stadium having fallen behind many of the country’s more modern grounds, the need for significant investment and redevelopment is now widely recognised. Addressing those in attendance, Mr Burns spoke passionately about the responsibility facing the GAA and its leadership over the coming decade.
He said the stadium must receive the funding required to ensure future generations can continue to take pride in one of the Association’s most iconic venues.
Mr Burns pledged that, during his remaining months as Uachtarán Chumann Lúthchleas Gael, he would work to honour Semple Stadium and help restore it to the standard envisioned by pioneering figures such as Tom Semple.

His powerful five-minute address left a lasting impression on the audience. Speaking without notes, his exceptional command of the Irish language, natural eloquence and strength as a public speaker, held those present in awe.

His remarks were a fitting and memorable tribute to Semple Stadium’s remarkable past, as well as a strong statement of intent regarding its future.

Record UHL Overcrowding Raises Serious Concerns For North Tipperary Patients.

Patients throughout North Tipperary are facing renewed concerns about access to emergency hospital care after University Hospital Limerick recorded the highest level of overcrowding in the country during July.

North Tipperary’s TDs, namely Mr Michael Lowry, Mr Ryan O’Meara and Mr Alan Kelly, must now press for immediate measures to relieve this overcrowding, strengthen emergency and acute-care capacity across the Mid-West, and ensure that patients from the region can access safe and timely hospital treatment. All above named should raise this escalating crisis at UHL directly with Minister for Health Ms Jennifer Carroll MacNeill, and demand a clear, time-bound response.

A total of 2,172 patients were treated on trolleys, chairs or other inappropriate bed spaces at UHL during the month, according to figures from the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation.

University Hospital Limerick Which Serves North Tipperary.

The Dooradoyle hospital provides the principal 24-hour emergency and critical-care services for the Mid-West, including North Tipperary. The continuing pressure at UHL therefore has direct consequences for patients and families in communities including Nenagh, Roscrea, Newport, Borrisokane and surrounding areas.
Nationally, 10,394 admitted patients were left waiting for hospital beds during July. It was the first July on record in which the figure exceeded 10,000.

UHL accounted for more than one-fifth of the national total and remained by far the most overcrowded hospital in Ireland. University Hospital Galway recorded 919 patients on trolleys during July, while the figure at Sligo University Hospital was 800.
The INMO has called on the Health Service Executive to treat the situation at UHL as a major incident and to deploy all resources necessary to the hospital.

INMO General Secretary Ms Phil Ní Sheaghdha said the overcrowding experienced this summer represented a serious warning ahead of the traditionally difficult autumn and winter period.
She said senior HSE decision-makers should be present at UHL throughout the bank holiday weekend and in the weeks ahead to oversee the response.
The union’s intervention comes as people have been advised to consider other care options, before attending the UHL Emergency Department, except in cases involving serious illness, major injury or a life-threatening emergency.

For North Tipperary residents, however, the continuing problems highlight the limited emergency-care options available within the region. While services such as the Injury Unit and Medical Assessment Unit at Nenagh Hospital can treat certain patients, those requiring emergency or complex acute care may still have to travel to UHL.

The INMO also warned that sustained overcrowding, staff shortages and increasing workloads are placing nurses and midwives under relentless pressure.
Ms Ní Sheaghdha said healthcare workers were being asked to provide care in conditions that would previously have been considered unimaginable during the summer months. She also accused employers of failing to provide sufficient support following critical incidents and of compromising staff health and wellbeing.

On Friday morning, a further 362 admitted patients were waiting without beds in hospitals across the country.

The record July figures are likely to intensify calls for additional hospital capacity, staffing and emergency-care services for North Tipperary and the wider Mid-West region.