Archives

God Save Us From Government Websites

Dáil Bar.

A website for the controlling of information, being input on The Household Charge, ended up last week with the children of households & dead persons receiving threatening communications. Postage alone for these reminders has cost the tax payer in excess of €14,000. This correspondence also required those who had already paid the charge to contact a lo-call number to tell those compiling this database, that they had already paid.

Now another new website is to be launched today to fulfil the commitment under the Programme for Government & which will supposedly measure the Government’s performance across a number of key areas. Areas to be measured include in particular our countries progress on the economy, transport, innovation and the environment.

The website we are told will make the workings of Government more transparent and will use data gathered across the public service. (Where are they going to get the staff ?)
This pilot site, Ireland Stat, will show what the present Government has achieved, how much it cost and how Ireland compares overall internationally. (I wonder will it include the cost of so calledjob creation.’) Health & Education should also make interesting reading when data is eventually uploaded.

Education:

Some 50,000 third-level students are still waiting to hear whether they have qualified for a grant, even though their academic year started last month. The Irish Independent reports that SUSI, latter the new on-line system website used to process Student Grant Applications, is in chaos. The system was designed to speed up the Student Grant process, but today’s news claims only one in 16 grant applications has been so far approved.

Health:

The Tipperary Star Newspaper also reports this week that ten respite beds in the Hospital of the Assumption, promised for last Friday, will remain closed and have no prospect of being reopened possibly before 2014. This is despite a public promise from Tipperary Fine Gael TD Noel Coonan, at a public meeting in the Thurles Tipperary Institute three weeks ago. Obviously Noel forgot to check the facts with Minister for Health Dr. James Reilly, before stunning a packed lecture theatre with his statement, which everyone else present was aware hadn’t a hope in hell of being sanctioned. Will this health statistic failure be now ‘etched,’ on this new pilot site?

Heard A Good Joke Today:
It seems a Tipperary T.D died and went to heaven. He stood in front of the Pearly Gates & while queuing, noticed a large wall of clocks in the reception area behind St. Peter.
While being checked in the T.D asked curiously “Peter why all the clocks?”
St. Peter answered, “Those are Deceiver-Clocks. It is not publicly known on earth, but everyone who has ever lived has a Deceiver-Clock. Every time you lie, the hands move on your particular personal private clock.
Oh, said the T.D, shocked “Whose clock is that then?”
That clock is owned by mother Teresa,” replied St. Peter. “Note the hands have never moved, which would indicates that she has never told a lie.
This is truly incredible,” said the T.D, “and who owns that clock?” he pointed.
St. Peter replied, “That is President Abraham Lincoln’s clock, note the hands have moved only twice, thus informing us that Abraham only told two lies in his entire life.
Where is my clock?” asked the T.D.
St Peter replied. “Jesus has it in his office. He is currently controlling the temperature by using it as a ceiling fan.”

I wonder if we quit voting, would they all just go away?

As my old granny used to say “I don’t like political jokes…. because too many of them get elected.”

Thurles Planned Supermarket Gets Green Light

It has been confirmed this week that the green light has now been given to proceed with submitted building plans for yet another supermarket, to be erected by Baycross Developments Ltd on the site of the old Erin Foods Factory.

Thurles Town Council had attached nineteen extra conditions to the original plans submitted, which related mainly to the size of the property and the required modifications to road and access routes.

It is understood that some 30 individuals, mainly representing local business have made submissions opposing the development and these may be now further appealed to An Bord Pleanála.

The supermarket complex, (6,709 sqm) if erected would include a fast food drive-through restaurant, two ESB substations, vehicular and pedestrian access, a cycle track, the provision of two roundabouts and other associated works along the N62 route.

The decision to close the Erin Foods Factory came about after a group-wide review by the then parent company, Premier Foods, in November 2007, to consolidate the manufacturing of a number of its key brands. The plant closed the following June with the loss of 95 jobs.

Over a period spanning some 15 years to date, Thurles has lost some 1,500 jobs due to factory closures, and none of those jobs have been replaced.

With regard to business in the Thurles town centre, many fear that this new complex will now destroy the character and commercial activity once so vibrant in the town.

Tourism Providers Insist Map Of Thurles Be Destroyed

So you hope that your third level student son or daughter, may pick up a few hours work during this summer season, that’s  if “The Gathering 2013” takes off. Sorry to disillusion you folks but if you believe the latter then truly you need to read the full text hereunder, at least twice.

Our beloved Taoiseach has gone to the United States begging, well I suppose maybe begging is a bit too strong a word, he has gone to remind American investors that Ireland is still open for business. Our Enda of Times Magazine fame will address international key business people, you know the sort I mean, the equivalent of our Johnny Ronan, Richard Barrett, Sean Quinn and Sean FitzPatrick, latter who once boasted of having a large team of professional and dynamic employees, who make key decisions on a day to day basis, across a range of disciplines including: Health Insurance, Finance and  Construction.

Enda will be visiting Philadelphia and Cleveland, speaking at a number of engagements, casually meeting with representatives of Irish communities in both cities, thus further promoting this animal called ‘The Gathering 2013.

Powerful I hear you say, in rather apathetic rural tones, residing as you do in Thurles “The town that tourism forgot.

But my first hurried thoughts when I read this were “Has anyone got Enda Kenny’s mobile phone number, in a hurry to warn him” but then I thought “Stop the panic George, sure Noel Coonan or Allen Kelly are on the ball, and will have, by now, contacted Enda before he embarrasses them & Tipperary.

” Of course, as you have probably guessed, I’m talking about the so called Thurles Tourism Map shown hereunder.”

Ok, so what’s the problem with this new Thurles tourism map, I hear you yell ?”  “Hold your whist a moment,” I now reply, “First we need someone to blame, so (A) Who printed this damned map and (B) and what halfwit idiot did they consult ?”  Answer:- (A) Shannon Region Tourism and (B) No native of Thurles Town, was ever consulted that’s for sure.

When you view the map surely the immortal words of Blackadder (alias actor Rowan Atkinson,) will spring to mind : “Oh, God. Fortune vomits on our eiderdown one more time,” or maybe his phrase, “The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr Brain has long since departed,” might be more appropriate.

Continue reading Tourism Providers Insist Map Of Thurles Be Destroyed

Fine Gael U Turn On Cuts To Personal Assistant Hours

The Minister for Health James Reilly has been forced, after a storm of protests and debate at Cabinet today, to do a U turn on his proposed cuts to personal assistant hours. This climbdown will come as some relief to many people suffering disabilities here in Thurles & Co. Tipperary. However the Department of Health said the Health Service Executive (HSE) would continue to assess people’s needs “on an individual basis.

The Health Service Executive will now instead, be directed to achieve savings by cutting Administration, Travel Costs & Training, while introducing a better cash management structure in other related agencies.

The cuts to Personal Assistant hours, together with other savage cuts totalling in all an estimated €130 million, had been previously agreed between the HSE and the Department of Health. Following this announcement a group of people with disabilities came out protesting this afternoon outside of Government Buildings, prepared to camp overnight until these plans were reversed. They claimed today that this decision to withdraw Personal Assistant and Home Help services from people will prevent disabled and older people from living independently in their own homes.

Thurles News & It Is Only Monday

An Post bore my first piece of bad news today, it was a nice letter, sent from Screw Fix Direct, thanking me for my sincere interest in their company, but explaining they were, not as I had supposed, a Dating Agency.

That’s another stamp wasted and it all began because of my startling discovery made earlier in the week, while rooting through my girlfriend’s underwear drawer.  The discovery of a French Maid’s outfit, a Nurse’s outfit and a Police Woman’s uniform complete with slim leather baton, alarmed me, forcing me to immediately cancel any sincere belief that I had found at last “the one,” for me. Well as I said to Pat over a pint last Wednesday, “If she can’t hold down one decent job, in these recessionary times, she’s just not serious about any long term relationship,” & hence my excuse for having sent the damned correspondence, to the above named company in the first place.

Is Barry’s Bridge the beginning of the promised Thurles Skateboard Park?

My favourite newspaper that great Sunday employer of washed out politicians, their ex concubines & so called celebrities, better known as the Irish Independent was the bearer of my next piece of sad tidings. I do not know why they bother really, upsetting us every morning, it’s as if the people of this presently governed EU / IMF State cared a tinkers curse, one way or the other.

The article read; “Almost two-thirds of TDs didn’t bother turning up for half of the much vaunted “Friday Sittings,” of the Dail so far this year, despite the Government heralding it as a major political reform. Oireachtas authorities have said the sittings cost an estimated €90,000 per day, and opposition parties have described them as a “sham” since there are no questions to ministers or Dail votes, except on rare occasions.” writes Fiach Kelly Political Correspondent. (Who, I hasten to add, should not be categorised under the heading of any of the above named employees.)

Our own Tipperary North TD Noel Coonan is not recorded as having clocked in on any of the Fridays, but he himself only last night insisted he attended at least two of the stated days, between January and the end of June. Records compiled by the Irish Independent show that of 135 TDs presently employed, who ‘have to,’ clock in, 82 or 62%, are recorded as clocking in for three or fewer of the six Friday sittings held between January and June.

These Friday absences might explain why trainee footpath planners working with the National Roads Authority (NRA) or North Tipperary Co. Council, have almost succeeded in blocking the entrance for motorists attempting to exit from Barry’s Bridge to Emmet Street here in Thurles. While many swear this has been specially designed by Thurles Town Council for their forgotten dreams of a ‘Skateboard Park,’ recently muted and was a ‘Monday morning job,’ I would swear in a court of law that this pestiferous erection was designed on a Friday, so Noel could not possibly have observed it, as he rushes home on a Thursday.

One good piece of news however, Director of Corporate Enforcement Paul Appleby states that tax cheat Mick Wallace will escape any future prosecution and will keep his Dail seat, despite admitting he knowingly fiddled his Company’s VAT returns. Well it makes us all feel safe in our beds with the knowledge that at least one TD will be present in the Dail on a Friday. The Wexford TD said he would give up half of his Dail salary of €92,000, to pay the Revenue their €2.1m settlement over the next 87 years as a sitting TD.

Of course former company director Mr Sean Hartigan of Prestige Recycling, latter who was jailed for three years, for defrauding the State of a mere €200,000 in taxes and another decent man, Mr Paul Begley, of the country’s biggest fruit and vegetable wholesale company, Begley Brothers, who was recently jailed for six years for a mere €1.6m garlic fetish, may both feel slightly upset.

Other sad news learned today; Dublin City Council, who failed to get full agreement with North Tipperary Co Council, to move Lough Derg, from Tipperary to our Capitol city, have been forced to close lanes 5, 6, 7 & 8 of all Dublin Swimming pools, with immediate effect, thus conserving water. While on the topic of water, some other rather suprising news; three Irish men recently diving on the ill fated Titanic, were amazed to find that the ships swimming pool was still full after over 100 years.

Well as you can see little or nothing has changed here in Thurles since we dumped Fianna Fáil.