The Department of Health has confirmed 2,605 new cases of Covid-19 over the past 24 hours here in the Irish Republic.
There are 487 patients in hospital with the virus, down 16 on the same time yesterday and of these 99 patients are being treated in ICUs across the country, a decrease of 2 on yesterday’s reported figures.
Hundreds of hospital procedures are being cancelled each week, as our health system struggles to cope with COVID cases; rising numbers of patients on trolleys and healthcare staff out sick.
An Tánaiste Mr Leo Varadkar has stated that the Government is considering a dedicated campaign on vaccinations in an attempt to reach out to communities who do not speak the English language.
His remarks come as the Central Statistics Office data shows that eastern European nationals, working in the Republic, show the lowest rates of vaccination at 44%, compared to 67% of Western European nationals and 90% of Irish nationals.
The deputy chief medical officer Dr Ronan Glynn says precautions should be taken to reduce children’s activities over the remainder of the Halloween midterm, due to the recent rise in Covid-19 cases. A total of 4,393 cases were reported in children aged 5-12 in the two weeks to Monday last, compared to 2,930 over a similar time-frame earlier this month.
The Minister for Health Mr Stephen Donnelly has confirmed that people who are deemed close contacts, of any Covid-19 case, will now be sent antigen tests with effect from today. Under this system, people can use the antigen tests at their home, if they are both fully vaccinated and do not display symptoms.
In Northern Ireland, their Department of Health has confirmed an additional 1,122 Covid cases, with, sadly, 9 further deaths in the same 24 hour period.
Russia has reported a record 1,159 deaths from Covid in the past 24 hours resulting in shops, restaurants and schools shutting in Moscow; in a partial lock-down, as Russia battles record Covid deaths and infections. Today, only essential shops like supermarkets and pharmacies are allowed to open in the capital, while food outlets can only provide takeaways. Perhaps not so wise, authorities have also given workers across Russia nine days off from Saturday next in a bid to curb 40,096 new infections in 85 regions of their State.
NPHET continues to urge people here in the Irish Republic who have been offered a vaccine, to take it and importantly to make sure to present themselves for their second vaccine dose.
Choosing to get vaccinated is an act of protection for yourself, as it may save your life; but it is also an act of solidarity with others; the more of us that get vaccinated, the safer we all will be.
The Department of Health has confirmed 1,631 new cases of Covid-19 here in the Irish Republic, within the past 24 hours.
There are 503 patients in our hospitals suffering from the virus, down 10 on the same time yesterday.
Of these however, 101 patients are in ICUs, around the country, an increase of 4 from yesterday’s reported figures. Some 67 people, sadly, have died here in the Republic of Ireland in the last 7 days from the virus.
Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan has stated that Covid-19 is growing at a rate that is concerning and it would be very sensible for those who visited nightclubs, last weekend, and in the future, to stay away from vulnerable people over the days following. Meanwhile, nightclub and live venue operators have been told that rules requiring tickets to be booked at least one hour in advance, will take effect from tomorrow. The guidelines which outlined how the new system will work, were published on Friday last.
In Northern Ireland, 1,291 Covid cases have also been reported in the past 24 hours. An additional 6 deaths, sadly, have also been reported.
A medical panel of US government advisers have now endorsed the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine for children aged between 5-11, thus paving the way for younger children to get immunised within the coming weeks.
The Executive Director of the World Health Organization, Dr Michael Ryan has stated that he remains critical of pharmaceutical companies whom he said are making profit by manufacturing doses for countries who have two or more times the supplies they require and are failing to share with their COVAX programme.
Choosing to get vaccinated is an act of protection for yourself, as it may save your life; but it is also an act of solidarity with others; the more of us that get vaccinated, the safer we all will be.
There have been 2,193 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed by our Department of Health within the past 24 hours, here in the Irish Republic.
There are 513 patients reported to be receiving hospital care; an increase of 16 on yesterday’s reported figures. Patients in intensive care units stand at risen 97, down 2 on yesterday’s confirmed cases.
Total confirmed cases here, in the Republic of Ireland, now stand at 433,902.
Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan is calling on those who are not vaccinated against Covid-19, to avail of a vaccine, saying it will significantly reduce the risk of severe illness should you contract the disease and is the only real defence against the disease.
Latest rules relating to Irish nightclubs, will see in future persons wanting to attend same venues, having to purchase their tickets at least an hour in advance of turning up at the door.
A tally undertaken by the leading global news agency, Agence France-Presse (AFP) is now showing that virus infections and deaths are swiftly rising again in Europe; with Russia, Ukraine and Romania registering the highest fatalities on the continent.
In Northern Ireland, their Department of Health have also reported another 1,124 cases of the Covid-19 virus.
As of this morning, there were 358 Covid-positive patients in hospital, of whom 34 were in their intensive care units. Sadly, 4 further deaths of patients who had previously tested positive for Covid-19, have been reported. The total number of deaths linked to Covid-19 in Northern Ireland, since the start of the pandemic, now stands at 2,669, with a total of 269,330 virus cases confirmed over the same time-frame.
As of today, a total of 2,625,815 vaccines for Covid-19 have been administered in Northern Ireland.
Choosing to get vaccinated is an act of protection for yourself, as it may save your life; but it is also an act of solidarity with others; the more of us that get vaccinated, the safer we all will be.
There have been 1,845 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed by our Department of Health within the past 24 hours, here in the Irish Republic.
There are 497 patients reported to be receiving hospital care; an increase of 24 on yesterday’s reported figures.
Patients in intensive care units have risen to 99, up 2 on yesterday’s announced figures, More than 60% of the people in ICU are unvaccinated.
Walk-in vaccinations in Nenagh this week: This week’s no-appointment – walk-in – Pfizer Dose 1 & 2 vaccine clinics for adults, and for children aged 12 and over, will include full day operations in the Mid-West COVID-19 Vaccination Centre in Nenagh (Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday). Tuesday October 26th – Thursday October 28th & Sunday October 31st; at the Abbey Court Hotel, Nenagh, – Time: 9:00am – 6:00pm – Pfizer Dose 1 & 2. (Note: Sunday October 31st Time: 9:00am- 5:00pm.)
Anyone attending these clinics for second doses should bring their vaccine record card. Please note that a minimum of 21 days must have passed after Pfizer Dose 1, before Dose 2 is administered. This should be observed also for people who have received AstraZeneca Dose 1 and who are presenting for Pfizer Dose 2. No appointment is necessary for these clinics, and there is no requirement to register on the national vaccine registration portal. However, please note that children under 16 years must be accompanied to centres by a parent or guardian.
The HSE expect to also develop pop-up vaccine clinics at maternity hospitals this week, which will be open to all women of any gestation, and to their partners, who may remain unvaccinated.
Meanwhile, an information campaign will now run over the next 10 days to encourage unvaccinated people and those who have received a first dose but not a second, to take up a vaccine.
World Health Organization’s (WHO) Director-General Mr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has stated that the Covid-19 pandemic will end “when the world chooses to end it. It is in our hands. We have all the tools we need – effective public health tools and effective medical tools – but those tools have not been shared equitably. With almost 50,000 deaths a week, the pandemic is far from over,”
WHO Spokesperson Ms Margaret Harris has stated that more variants will develop and we are going to see more transmissions as we have not got serious about crowding.
The Department of International Health and Tropical Medicine at RCSI, Professor Mr Sam McConkey has stated that he believes it is inevitable that all of us, as our vaccine wanes, will need a booster shot.
The General Secretary of the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation Ms Phil Ni Sheaghdha said an immediate decision is now needed with regard to prioritising front-line healthcare workers for Covid-19 booster shots. She stated that healthcare worker infection rate has increased, with already staffing levels being compromised within the sector.
In Northern Ireland a further 1,019 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed today, down from 1,061 on yesterday.
Choosing to get vaccinated is an act of protection for yourself, as it may save your life; but it is also an act of solidarity with others; the more of us that get vaccinated, the safer we all will be.
It is with sadness we report that a man has died in hospital, after he became seriously ill at a premises on Liberty Square, Thurles, Co Tipperary yesterday.
Gardaí and emergency services were called to the scene at around 11:00am yesterday morning, resulting in the town centre, Liberty Square, being closed for a short time, as medical personnel attempted to treat the man.
He was quickly rushed to South Tipperary University Hospital in Clonmel where he sadly passed away later yesterday afternoon.
A post mortem examination will take place in due course and a file will be prepared for the Coroners Court.
Gardaí say they are continuing to investigate the man’s tragic demise.
A garda spokesperson stated: “Gardaí in Thurles were called to assist National Ambulance Service at a property in Thurles town, this morning, Sunday 24th October, 2021 at approximately 11:00am”.
This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.AcceptRead More
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Privacy Overview
This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.
Recent Comments