Archives

Two Remanded After Woman Allegedly Doused With Petrol In Littleton, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.

Two men have been remanded in custody following an alleged attack on a 65-year-old woman in Littleton, Thurles, County Tipperary.

Mr Jim Bob Keane, aged 27 years, of Derrynaflan Avenue, Littleton, Thurles, and Mr Caylum Meaney, aged 24 years, with an address at McDonagh Terrace, Littleton, Thurles appeared before a special sitting of Fermoy District Court on Tuesday last, August 18th 2026.
Both men are charged with assault causing harm and producing an offensive weapon, namely a pickaxe, during a dispute. They were arrested after Gardaí responded to an incident in Littleton, some 5 miles from Thurles, on Sunday evening last, August 16th.

Garda Mr James Maher told the court that petrol was allegedly poured over the head, face and back of Kathleen Crowe, while she was being restrained. Ms Crowe reportedly heard a lighter clicking behind her and feared she was about to be set alight.
The court heard that a green cigarette lighter was found in Mr Keane’s hand when he was arrested. A pickaxe was also recovered at the scene.

Mr Meaney made no reply when arrested and cautioned, while Mr Keane denied having a pickaxe in his hand.
An off-duty Garda officer, who attended the incident was allegedly threatened, together with his 13-year-old son. The court was told that threats were also made to burn the Garda’s family out of their home. The family reportedly felt unable to remain in their accommodation that night because of these threats.

Inspector Mr James White opposed bail, telling the court that further charges were expected. He said both defendants had been on bail in connection with separate, unrelated matters, when the alleged Littleton incident occurred.
The inspector expressed concern about possible further offending, a recurrence of the dispute and the potential intimidation of witnesses.
Defence solicitor Mr Joseph McMahon highlighted what he described as discrepancies between witness accounts and asked the court to release the two men under strict bail conditions.

Judge Ms Catherine Ryan refused bail and remanded both defendants in custody. They are due to appear again before Nenagh District Court on tomorrow Friday, August 21st.

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

  

  

  

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.