Galway Narrowly Defeat Tipperary In SHC Semi-Final 2015

HurlingFull-time score: Tipperary 3-16 (25pts) – Galway 0-26

No doubt whatsoever, it was the hurling game of the summer of 2015; an epic game that will be talked about for many years into the future; it was of course Tipperary v Galway at Croke Park today August 16th 2015.

The game was spellbinding to watch; demonstrating courage and much resilience from Galway, with ‘Man of the Match’ deservedly going to Seamus Callanan on the losing Tipperary team, having personally scored 3-09 (18pts).

The lead between the rivals changed hands many times, drawing level on some 10 different occasions and one could argue that a replay would have been perhaps the fairest outcome on the day. However following the final result; the question now remains can Galway end a 27-year drought and take the Liam MacCarthy Cup west of the Shannon River, when they meet on Sunday September 6th next, in the final of the 2015 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship?

First Half  (38 min)
It took just 40 seconds, in the opening half, for Seamus Callanan to rifle the ball past Galway goalkeeper Colm Callanan for a goal (3pts) and six minutes for Galway to reply with a free taken by Joe Canning.  In the 16th minute Galway win a penalty, but to no avail, due to the brilliance of a save made by Tipperary goalkeeper Darren Gleeson and which would not be his last on the day.

From then on it was a first half game of points from Galway’s Jason Flynn, Joe Canning, Cathal Mannion, Andy Smyth, C. Whelan and David Burke  answered by Tipperary’s Seamus Callanan, Jason Forde, John ‘Bubbles’ O’Dwyer, Seamus Callanan and Brendan Maher; all leading to a half-time scoreboard which read Tipperary 1-09 (12pts) – Galway 0-13.

Second Half
In the fortieth minute Seamus Callanan gets his second goal; and add a third just 13 minutes later, but same gets slowly whittled away by points from determined hungry Galway’s players namely; Canning, Whelan and Jason Flynn with an almost tit-for-tat thrilling tie thus ensuing.

As the sides went deep into injury-time without either taking the lead for long, it looked like parity might be the outright winner today. However right at the death, Galway’s Joe Canning found sub S. Maloney with a diagonal pass, leaving him to slip away and past Tipperary’s Cathal Barrett, to fire over the eventual winning single point.

Best of luck to Galway who now go forward against Kilkenny in the final.

Tipperary Team: D. Gleeson, C. Barrett, J. Barry, C. O’Brien, R. Maher, Padraic Maher, K. Bergin, J. Woodlock, S. McGrath, J. Forde (0-01), B. Maher (0-01), Patrick Maher (0-01), N. O’Meara, S. Callanan (3-09 [18pts]), J. O’Dwyer (0-02).

Subs: Shane Bourke for J.Forde; Lar Corbett for S. McGrath;, N. McGrath for S.Bourke, C. O’Mahony for J. Woodlock and M. Breen for R. Maher.

Referee: B Kelly (Westmeath).


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>




nine + fifteen =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.