Beware Silent Killer Warn Chief Fire Officers

The Irish Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) are urging householders here in Tipperary and indeed nationally to be aware of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide (CO) build-up (“The silent killer”) in your home, as part of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2014.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

The main aim of the week is to raise public awareness of the causes, symptoms, prevention and protection measures for this highly poisonous gas latter which can kill within minutes of being inhaled.

TipperaryMapMr Seamus Murphy, Chairperson of the CFOA explained that CO is one of the leading causes of poisonous deaths throughout the world.  “This potentially deadly gas can build up to dangerous concentrations indoors when fuel-burning devices are not properly vented, operated or maintained. Because it has no odour, colour or taste, CO cannot be detected by our senses. Symptoms associated with exposure to CO include a mild headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and drowsiness,” stated Mr Murphy.

“Fortunately, simple measures can be taken to prevent CO problems.  One such action is the installation of a CO alarm to detect potentially deadly conditions. Householders should also make sure that all fuel burning appliances and heating devices are properly vented and maintained, while knowing the symptoms of CO poisoning is important,” Mr Murphy stated.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2014 is coordinated by Bord Gáis Networks and is supported by the CFOA, COMREG, Register of Gas Installers, Irish LPG Association, OFTEC, NSAI, HSE, HSA and all of the major Irish energy retailers.

For further Carbon Monoxide information and advice, please do visit


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>




five × five =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.