Tipperary Overcome Cork At Semple Stadium Thurles

HurlingTipperary beat the Rebel County Cork 3-25 (34pts) to 4-19 (31pts) in what can only be described as a truly thrilling Allianz Hurling League quarter-final here at Semple Stadium in Thurles yesterday. In front of a relatively small crowd of spectators, just 6,615 dedicated loyal supporters watched Tipperary’s man of the match; John O’Dwyer (Killenaule) hit 1-07 (10pts) for the Premier County, to set up a semi-final meeting with Clare in three weeks time.

At half-time, Cork were 3-11 (20pts) to Tipperary 3-09 (18pts) in front, however they were soon to fall six points behind during the course of the second half. Patrick Horgan’s late goal provided just a glimmer of hope for Cork and they could even have snatched a draw had Anthony Nash’s 20m free not been blocked by a determined Premier County gathered in mass on the Tipperary goal-line.

From a sheer defensive point of view on both sides, the game was noteworthy in its openness, with 51 scores in total totted up over the course of the seventy minutes played and which also saw Seamus Callanan take his League tally to a massive 5-40 (55pts) with an added haul yesterday of another 8 pts. Tipperary had edged into the last eight with a three-point victory over Dublin in Thurles just seven days ago and with the threat of relegation now removed, within Tipperary was almost certainly a feeling of freedom in some of their action, which was well documented in the first ten minutes as the Premier county tallied up a ten-point lead.

While S.Harnedy grabbed two goals within the space of three minutes, thus bringing Cork back into close contention, it was the O’Dwyer goal, three minutes before the break which kept the Premier fifteen in contention, levelling twice early in the second half, to establish a 3-21 (30pt) to 3-15 (34pt) lead.

Cork were handed a possible lifeline in the 65th minute when Horgan rifled his fourth goal past Tipperary goalkeeper Darragh Egan, however although Cork were to come within a point of their host team in the final minute, efforts from Noel McGrath and John O’Dwyer ensured the winning result for the Premier side.

Final Score: Tipperary 3-25 (34pts) – Cork 4-19 (31pts).
Tipperary Team: D. Egan; P. Stapleton, C. O’Mahony, C. O’Brien, J. Barry, B. Maher,  T. Stapleton, K. Bergin, J. Woodlock, D. Maher, N. McGrath, J. O’Dwyer, S. Bourke,  S. Callanan and N. O’Meara.
Subs: R. Maher for C. O’Mahony, J. Forde for N. O’Meara, L. McGrath for S. Bourke, E. Kelly for D. Maher and J. O’Brien for S. Callanan.


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>




20 − three =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.