The Central Criminal Court has heard that “no one knows exactly what happened” on the night a 32-year-old Polish man died, following an incident at a house in Co Tipperary.
Mr Tomasz Rozpeda, aged 29, of no fixed abode, previously pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Mr Maciej Nowak, who died at Ballycranna, Kilross, Co Tipperary, during the early hours of December 27th, 2023.
During the sentencing hearing today Tuesday, the court heard that both men had consumed large quantities of alcohol and drugs, while socialising together on St Stephen’s Day. A toxicology report showed Mr Nowak had an extremely high level of amphetamines in his system, close to a fatal level, although medical experts ruled this out as the cause of death.
The court heard Mr Rozpeda called emergency services and claimed his friend had “gone crazy”, hitting himself and smashing items around the house. However, pathologists later determined that Mr Nowak died from blunt force trauma to the head and neck, injuries which were not consistent with self-inflicted harm.
Medical evidence revealed Mr Nowak suffered extensive injuries, including dozens of bruises and trauma caused by the brain twisting within the skull. Gardaí also found blood-stained broken bottles scattered across the kitchen floor of the house.
Prosecution counsel told the court that CCTV footage showed the two men together at an Applegreen service station outside Tipperary town, before returning to Mr Nowak’s home. Additional evidence included phone calls and voice messages sent by Mr Rozpeda during the night, in which he reportedly told friends he had “f**ked up” and that an accident had happened.
Gardaí later arrested Mr Rozpeda, who initially denied responsibility and attempted to distance himself from the incident. Investigators said a number of untruths were told during interviews.
Victim impact statements were read to the court from Mr Nowak’s sister and fiancée. His sister described learning of her brother’s death as the moment her “world came to a standstill”, while his fiancée said she had lost “the love of her life” and struggled to cope emotionally since the tragedy.
The court also heard that Mr Nowak was a father of three children and had been due to marry in June 2024.
Defence counsel said the men had been friends for approximately ten years and there had been no previous animosity between them. He described the events as a tragic escalation during a night where both men had consumed substances “to excess”.
Counsel for Rozpeda apologised on behalf of his client and said there was no evidence that he had brought a weapon to the house or intended serious violence.
The Director of Public Prosecutions accepted the guilty plea to manslaughter, with the original murder charge set aside.
Ms Justice Eileen Creedon remanded Mr Rozpeda in custody ahead of sentencing on July 6 next.


Leave a Reply