Tipp V Clare Round 3 Allianz Hurling League Div 1A Result

HurlingDisappointment this afternoon for Tipperary in Semple Stadium, when in front of 8,133 spectators, the Premier County slumped to their second successive defeat, allowing Clare to collect their second League victory of the current season.

Clare beat Tipperary by 4-15 to 0-20, giving Clare a seven point win in round 3 of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1A, played this afternoon.

For Clare it was Connor McGrath who proved to be the star of the show, outshining Tipperary’s full-back Paddy Stapleton in the 11th minute, to deliver Clare’s first goal in the first half.

McGrath was on target again in the 30th minute; accepting a well delivered pass from Padraic Collins and with just two minutes remaining of the first half, Clare’s third goal arrived courtesy of Clare’s John Conlon from a neat pass by Colm Galvin

Throughout the game Tipperary were constantly being  punished for turning over possession allowing a slick Clare attack take full advantage and with a half-time scoreboard reading; Clare 3-07 (16pts) – Tipperary 0-08 (8pts).

Following their trip to the dressing-room, Tipperary began the second half looking somewhat livelier and began the process of reducing their mountainous deficit.  With 20 minutes left to play they were down to a three point difference, the score reading 0-14 to 3-08. However Clare continued to keep the scoreboard slowly ticking over throughout the second half, denying what appeared to be certain scoring opportunities to John O’Dwyer and James Woodlock.

However, in the 52nd minute, McGrath raised his goal tally to hat-trick status, killing off any future glimmer of hope for a Tipperary revival.

The failure by Tipperary manager Eamon O’Shea to name Conor O’Mahony initially in the starting fifteen, must surely be seen as a major over site on his part, resulting in today’s poor, permeable, first half defence and their apparent inability to deal with high ball issues.

Tipperary Team: D. Gleeson, P. Stapleton, T. Stapleton, C. Barrett, S. McGrath (0-01), T. Hamill, M. Cahill, B. Maher, J. Woodlock (0-02), K. Bergin (0-01), N. McGrath (0-1), P. Murphy (0-01), J. Forde (0-02,), J. O’Dwyer (0-07), S. Bourke (0-02).

Subs: C. Kenny for S. Bourke, C. O’Mahony for T. Hamill, D. Maher for P. Murphy, M. Heffernan for K. Bergin  and R. Maher for J. Forde.

Referee: J. Owens (Wexford).


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>




4 × three =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.