Staff at the Coty plant situated in Nenagh, County Tipperary have been called to a meeting at midday today, fueling fears for the future of over 200 jobs.
Following a briefing after a Tipperary County Council monthly meeting yesterday, members were informed to expect the worst scenario.
In 2015 the Coty cosmetics manufacturing company, which boasts revenues of over €9 billion and is one of the biggest beauty companies in the world, took over the Proctor and Gamble facility, which had been in operation, since 1978, at the Gortlandroe Industrial Estate, situated in Nenagh.
The take over deal worth €11.3 billion, saw Coty acquire the brands Hugo Boss, Gucci and Max Factor, also hair and fragrance brands such as Calvin Klein, Clairol, Wella, and Rimmel are all part of its product range.
There were a number of concerns then about the takeover last year, including pension rights and last year the Labour Court recommended that the staff receive a once off loyalty payment.
Today’s midday meeting is likely to announce that all production at the plant in Nenagh will cease over an 18 months period, with all jobs moving from the area to the UK.
Worst scenario; staff at the Nenagh plant will receive redundancy payments under the terms previously available from Procter & Gamble, which amounts to six weeks pay per each year of service, plus two weeks statutory redundancy.
Coty this afternoon have confirmed that its plant, situated in Nenagh, Co Tipperary, will close by the end of 2018 with the loss of around 200 jobs.
The company confirmed it had carried out a detailed study of its global manufacturing and had decided to consolidate its total cosmetics operations, resulting in the complete closure of their Nenagh plant.
This decision came about following the merger of the Proctor & Gamble Speciality Beauty brands with Coty, and is reminiscent of so many other company mergers and take overs in recent years in Tipperary towns like Nenagh, Clonmel and Thurles.
The plant had been one of the biggest employers in Tipperary, with a workforce of over 500 persons since 1970.
A new label is set to appear on all egg cartons across the country very shortly, with the Department of Agriculture insisting that the egg and poultry sector can no longer use the ‘Free Range’ label after St Patrick’s Day 2017.
This news comes following the introduction of recent and necessary regulations by the Dept. of Agriculture, which required all poultry keepers to maintain their flocks indoors in a secure building, ensuring no access to other wild birds or animals. Same decree was due to the outbreaks of the highly pathogenic strain of avian influenza (H5N8) currently sweeping across Europe. Bird flu has been reported in no less than 16 countries across Europe last month.
The H5N8 strain of the virus was found in Whooper Swans in Borrisokane and Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, as well as in a Grey Heron in Middleton, Co. Cork. Two cases were also reported in Northern Ireland in Whooper Swans in Derry and Lough Neagh.
From March 18th next all eggs sold in cartons, or offered for sale on menus will be unable to use the description ‘free range’. Egg producers must detail how hens were kept and according to the Department, all previously free range eggs will now have to be classified with the term ‘barn eggs’ or ‘barn eggs – laid by hens temporarily housed for their welfare’.
According to EU rules this new label must appear ‘easily visible and clearly legible’ on the outside of all egg cartons, with any reference to ‘free range’ on the label removed or covered over, with new sticker ‘not easily removed’.
Under current law, owners of hotels, restaurants, cafés and pubs selling food, can no longer have information on menus that is not totally correct, so proprietors will need to remove any references to eggs as being ‘free range’ on all written published material.
If and when the current confinement order in relation to avian influenza is lifted, the industry can again return to marking their produce as ‘free range’ if so appropriate.
Statue of Archbishop Dr. P. Leahy, in Thurles Cathedral yard.
Destined to become one of the most prominent Roman Catholic churchmen in Ireland, Patrick Leahy (1806–1875) was born at Fennor, in the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary, on May 31st 1806, the son of Patrick Leahy, a moderately successful Civil Engineer and Surveyor in Co Tipperary and Co. Cork, and Mary Margaret (née Cormack), a native of Gortnahoe.
Following his ordination he became the Roman Catholic curate of a small parish in the diocese of Cashel and was later appointed professor of Theology and Scripture here in St. Patrick’s College in Thurles, and a short time later President of that same Institution.
By August 22nd 1850 he was one of the Secretaries of the Synod of Thurles, and was afterwards appointed parish priest of Thurles and vicar-general of the Diocese of Cashel.
When the Catholic University was first opened in Dublin in 1854, he was selected for the office of Vice-Rector under then Rector Dr. John Henry Newman, (afterwards Cardinal Newman), thus filling a Professor’s chair.
He was elected Archbishop of Cashel on April 27th 1857 and consecrated on June 29th of that same year. In 1866 and 1867 he was deputed, with John Derry Bishop of Clonfert, to conduct the negotiations with Lord Mayo (Richard Bourke), the Chief Secretary for Ireland, with respect to the proposed endowment of the Roman Catholic university.
 Five years later, on February 8th 1872, the same Lord Mayo (Richard Bourke), stopped off at Ross Island near the entrance to the harbour at Port Blair in the South Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal, then a British penal colony. Here Lord Mayo was stabbed to death by Sher Alia a convict from the North West Frontier, who was on a sick leave. His death caused great disturbance in diplomatic circles but the decision was made to play down the incident; quietly hang the murderer and appoint a new Viceroy.
A strong advocate of the cause of temperance, Archbishop Leahy enforced the Sunday closing of all public-houses in his Diocese. Owing to his energy the Cathedral of The Assumption at Thurles was built, at a cost of £45,000 pounds.
He died on January 26th 1875, and was buried in Thurles Cathedral on February 3rd of that year.
Hereunder find the following extract, relating to the erection of the statue to Archbishop Leahy in the yard of the Cathedral of The Assumption Thurles, taken from the journal of Fr. Michael Maher C.C., Thurles, and dated 1911.
“At the end of the year, the Archbishop (Thomas Fennelly 1901-1913) got a statue of Dr. Patrick Leahy erected in the Cathedral enclosure. It was sculptured at Carrara  by Professor Pietro Lazzerini and it is made of Sicilian or Bastard Statuary Marble. 
It was ready for shipment when the strike occurred on the railways in Great Britain and Ireland in August 1911.  We wrote to the sculptor not to send it until matters would be settled. It was sent from Leghorn  when the strike ceased, but arrived in Liverpool when the Irish strike was at its height in October. It was delayed some time on that account, but arrived safely in Thurles from Liverpool and Dublin in November. It weighs two tons and cost £120. I sent the cheque to Lazzerini.”
 Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (1475-1564), the Italian sculptor, painter, architect, and poet of the High Renaissance period, who exerted an unparalleled influence on the development of Western art, worked here at the Carrara marble quarries.
 Statuary Second or Bastard blue-grey Marble was used since the time of Ancient Rome.
 This strike arose after widespread dissatisfaction with the activities of conciliation boards set up to negotiate between workers and their employers the Rail Companies. Local disputes led to unofficial strike action in July and early August of 1911, with a meeting of all the main rail unions arranged in Liverpool to coordinate action nationally. These Unions issued an ultimatum to the Rail Companies to accept direct negotiation with their representatives within 24 hours or suffer a national strike. Keen to ensure that the railways would not be shut down. The Prime Minister, Herbert Henry Asquith, son of a Yorkshire clothing manufacturer, told the rail companies that police and troops would be deployed to help keep the trains running, resulting with soldiers being brought into London and 32 other towns in England and Wales. The then Home Secretary, Winston Churchill supported the police and troops against the striking union employees.
 Traditionally known in English as Leghorn, Livorno is a port city on the Ligurian Sea on the western coast of Tuscany, in Italy.
“The pedestal was fashioned by Mr P. Best of Cashel from stones got in the quarry at Camas, (Cashel). It cost £70. The Archbishop composed the inscription which is simplicity itself and a Galway man named Laurence Clane cut the letters.
Messr Leahy Brothers of Thurles had charge of the erection. It was no small work to get the statue in position without cranes or other powerful leverage. It was done this way. They constructed a large framework of wood around the base of the pedestal, then they hauled up the great box (2 tons 5 cwt.) containing the statue with pulleys attached to a horizontal iron bar above and let it rest on planks. They next built the pedestal and when that was finished they opened the box and got the statue into position by means of the pulleys. They finished the work a few days before Christmas.”
Overall Cost of Monument £214-10-0
[Statue £120-0-0; Pedestal £70-0-0; Leahy erection £12-0-0; Carriage from Leghorn (Livorno) to Thurles £12-10-0.]
It is with great sadness we learned of the death today, Monday 13th March 2017, of Mrs Maura McCullagh (née Small), Ballinahow, Ballycahill, Thurles, Co. Tipperary and Tarmon Drive, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
Mrs McCullagh passed away peacefully, following an illness borne with great dignity, while surrounded by her loving family in the care of the Matron and Staff of the Community Hospital of The Assumption, Thurles.
Predeceased by her loving husband Mattie, sister Eileen and brother Micháel; the passing of Mrs McCullagh is most deeply regretted by her loving children, Margaret, Denis, Liam, Matt and Eileen; daughters-in-law; sons-in-law; grandchildren; brothers-in-law; sisters-in-law; nephews; nieces; extended relatives; neighbours and many good friends.
The earthly remains of Mrs McCullagh will repose at Hugh Ryan’s Funeral Home, Slievenamon Road, Thurles, on Tuesday, March 14th, from 4.00pm to 7.00pm to arrive at the Church of St Cataldus, Ballycahill, Thurles at 7.30pm.
Requiem Mass will take place on Wednesday March 15th at 11.30am, followed by interment immediately afterwards in Ballycahill Cemetery.
Note: Family flowers only. Donations, if desired, to Friends of the Community Hospital of the Assumption, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam dilís
It is with great sadness we learned of the death today, Sunday 12th March 2017, of Mrs Catherine (Kitty) Maher (née Raleigh), The Commons, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
Predeceased by her husband Timothy and son Tim; the passing of Mrs Maher is most deeply regretted by her sons Tom, Paul and Jim; her daughter Mary; sister Bridget Bray (Nenagh), daughters-in-law Geraldine, Ruth and Carole; extended relatives; neighbours and friends.
The earthly remains of Mrs Maher will repose in Ronan’s Funeral Home, Ballingarry, on Tuesday from 6.00pm to 7.30pm followed by prayers.
Removal will take place on Wednesday morning at 10.45am to the Church of The Assumption, Ballingarry, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
Requiem Mass will take place at 11.30am, followed by interment immediately afterwards in the adjoining cemetery.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam dilís