It is with great sadness we learned of the death yesterday, (March 1st) of former Tipperary Goalkeeper Tony Reddin (Goalkeeper of the Century and the Millennium), in his 96th year.
Mr Reddin died following a short illness, surrounded by his loving family at his home in Banagher, Co. Offaly.
T. Reddin R.I.P.
Born Martin Charles Reddington in Mullagh, Co. Galway in November 1919, Tony began his hurling career as a juvenile with his local club in 1933, winning a Connacht junior hurling medal with Galway in 1940. He would go on to play senior hurling and would play with Connacht in the inter-provincial championship in 1946.
One year later having crossed the Shannon to take up farm work in Lorrha, he joined the local club, where he immediately caused excitement with his unusual ability displayed in North Championship games.
Nicknamed “Thaudy,” in 1948, he assisted Lorrha win the North Tipperary senior hurling title making a succession of brilliant second half saves in the final against Borris Ileigh. Despite losing to Holycross/Ballycahill in the County final later that year, his performance brought him to the immediate attention of the then Tipperary manager Mr Paddy Leahy.
He joined the Tipperary panel later in 1949 and for the next nine years his performances as goalkeeper for the Premier County earned him the status and arguably the title of “greatest ever hurling goalkeeper”.
Tony won three All Ireland Senior Medals in 1949, 1950 and 1951 as well as three Munster Titles. He also won 6 National Leagues in 1949, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955 and 1957; 5 Railway Cup medals with Munster in 1950, 1953 and 1955, and 1 Oireachtas medal.
Tony was named the GAA’s Hurling goalkeeper of the century in 1984 and was named on the ‘Hurling Team of the Millennium’ in 2000.
Mr Reddin’s death is deeply regretted by his loving wife Maura and children Catherine (London), Eamon (Sligo), Jacinta (Dundalk), Majella (Gorey), Collette (Dunstable), Dermot (Sheffield), Brenda (Ardrahan), Noelle (Lucan), Cathal (Bray), and their spouses, Pat, Jane, Brian, Murt, Paul, Dawn, Pat, Gerry and Yasmin, his 28 grandchildren and 2 great-granddaughters; also his sisters Kitty and Betty, relatives, neighbours and many friends.
Mr Reddin’s body will repose at his home on Tuesday from 12.00 noon until 7.00pm with removal afterwards to St. Rynagh’s Church, Banagher, Co Offaly, arriving for prayers at 8.00pm.
His Requiem Mass will take place on Wednesday at 12.00 noon, followed by burial in Bonoham Cemetery, Rathcabin.
Family flowers only please.
Go ndéana Dia trócaire ar a anam dílis.
It is with great sadness we learn of the death last Friday (20th February 2015) of Tipperary born former Flag Officer Commanding the Naval Service, Commodore Liam Brett, of Glounthaune, Co. Cork and formerly of Lucan, Co. Dublin and Cappauniac, Cahir, Co Tipperary.
Mr Brett passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family, while in the tender and compassionate care of the Sisters, Nursing and Care Staff at the Bon Secours Care Village, Mount Desert, Co. Cork.
Loving husband of the late Eileen (nee Twomey) and father of Bríd, Denise, Martin and Joseph; Commodore Brett will be sorely missed by his children for his love, life and leadership and by his son-in-law Seán, grandchildren Róisín, Deirdre and Gearóid Cottrell, Amy and Richard Brett, nieces, nephews, relatives and a wide circle of neighbours and close friends.
Commodore Brett’s internment will take place following 11.00am Requiem Mass at the Sacred Heart Church, Glounthaune, tomorrow, in St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Little Island, Co. Cork.
Aged 86, Commodore Brett, during his lifetime, was central to the development of the Irish Naval Services, beginning when the Service commissioned the ‘LE Deirdre’ (1971) from the Verolme Dockyard in Co. Cork. Later under his watch the Naval Service would also acquire a further seven ships, thus allowing it to carry out Irish offshore patrols and fishery protection duties, following Ireland’s access to the then EEC.
Commodore Brett was also involved in the operation to recover the Aer Lingus Viscount aircraft that crashed off Tuskar Rock in 1967 and was involved in the recovery operation to raise the Air India plane which crashed into the sea off the West Cork coast in 1985. He played a major role in the interception, by three Naval Service ships, of the ‘MV Claudia’, latter bearing with guns, bound for the Provisional IRA, off Helvick Head in Co Waterford in 1973. Some eleven years later he was involved in a similar operation, when the ‘LE Emer’ and the ‘LE Aisling’ intercepted the vessel ‘Marita Anne,’ again with an arms cargo, off the Kerry coast.
Commodore Brett first joined the Naval Service in 1947, enjoying a 44-year career and rising to the rank of Flag Officer, prior to his retirement in 1990.
Go ndéana Dia trócaire ar a anam dílis.
“A poor life this if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.”
[Extract from a poem by William Henry Davies (1871 – 1940)]
All too often these days, in the hustle and bustle of our individual daily life, we fail to take time to‘stand and stare’, to observe and enjoy with local pride the many historic symbolic gems contained within our own individual communities. Many of these gems are to be found staring us in the face on a daily basis, their significance now perhaps partially erased from the blackboards of our minds, as we go about scratching a livelihood for ourselves and our dependants.
The Watson stained glass window in St Mary’s Church, Thurles, which we discuss hereunder, is one such perhaps temporary forgotten artistic gem.
Left To Right: (1) The ‘Watson of Youghal’ stained glass window, St Mary’s Church, Thurles, Tipperary. (2) William Holman Hunt’s original painting “The Light of the World”. (3) Photo of artist William Holman Hunt in eastern dress.
The original allegorical portrait (centre above) depicted by James Watson in this stained glass window is the work of renowned Pre-Raphaelite artist William Holman Hunt. This work, entitled “The Light of the World,” was originally painted by night in a makeshift hut at Worcester Park Farm in Surrey, England, between the years 1851 & 1853. Due to Holman Hunt’s failing eyesight, he was assisted in the completion of a larger version of this painting by the English painter Edward Robert Hughes.
The painting (Centre above) and stained glass depiction (Left above) both show the figure of Jesus Christ knocking on a door and careful further study indicates that this same painted overgrown entrance has remained unopened for some considerable time. In his painting Holman Hunt is attempting to illustrate a quote from the New Testament scriptures; to be precise the Book of Revelation: Chapter 3: Verse 20: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me”. Viewers of the original painting will note that this depicted door has no visible handle and can therefore only be opened from the inside, thus representing the choice given to the closed and unsure minds of both lapsed Christians and non-believers.
Here in Thurles regrettably, we do not have Holman Hunt’s wonderful painting “The Light of the World,” to view; same lovers of art must travel to the Chapel at Keble College, Oxford, or to St Paul’s Cathedral in London, where a later version, latter which once toured the world, has now taken up residents. However here in Thurles we do own the next best thing; “The Light of the World,” as depicted by renowned stained glass artist James Watson of Youghal, Co Cork.
James Watson, born in England circa 1860, came from a long line of English stained-glass manufacturing artists. In 1888, attracted by the growth in church building in Ireland, both Catholic and Protestant, James moved to Youghal, with his wife, Mary and his sons Hubert and Maurice. His reputation as a stained glass artist soon became a by-word for artistic excellence, with the importing of brilliantly coloured glass from Europe; the red from England, the best blue’s, orange and yellow’s coming from France and the green’s coming from Germany. Watson would eventually go on to exhibit his stained glass at the St Louis World’s Fair of 1904.
Using large detailed artistic drawings called “cartoons,” painting was undertaken using a translucent stain
which was then applied in numerous layers, giving that masterful effect of light and shade. The final tiny details achieved often using a needle and each complex masterpiece produced demanding several firings. The required leading, joining each piece of painted glass, had to be made by a hand cranked machine, while thermally insulated chambers or kilns used, took days to fire up.
Although the Watson workshop survived until recently, maintained by successive generations of the Watson family, much of the firm’s finest work was done in the early years of the 20th century, as can be seen in the designs and drawings displayed currently at the Crawford Art Gallery, Emmet Place, Cork, under the stewardship of Exhibition Curator M/s Vera Ryan, latter who recently visited Thurles to view the Watson window in St Mary’s Church.
Note: A truly magnificent “Watson Archive Exhibition” is currently on display at the Crawford Art Gallery, Emmet Place, Cork, containing some one thousand works on paper, including records, account books and other material. This exhibition will only run until March 2015, but is a must see for lovers of art and indeed Tipperary history.
This afternoon (Sunday February 8th 2015) saw the Installation of the new Archbishop of Cashel & Emly Archdiocese, His Grace Kieran O’Reilly, SMA, in the Cathedral of The Assumption, Cathedral Street, here in Thurles, [Map Ref.].
His Grace, a native of Cork who was initially appointed Archbishop of Cashel & Emly on November 22nd 2014, was Installed in front of a packed Cathedral.
In his homily today, Feb. 8th, latter date the first ever International Day of Prayer and Reflection against Human Trafficking; His Grace, as expected, spoke about one of Pope Francis’ top social and political priorities, that of “Human Trafficking.”
Archbishop O’Reilly stated that trafficking in human beings is an illegal industry estimated to affect between 21 and 32 million people around the world, generating between $100 billion and $150 billion in annual profits for criminal classes. He emphasised the need to stamp out this current evil and pointed out that ‘Human Trafficking’ was a matter of grave concern to Pope Francis from his time spent in Argentina and was a core preoccupation of the reigning papacy of His Holiness.
His Grace also spoke about the Sudanese-born former slave St. Josephine Margaret Bakhita, now, since the year 2000, considered a patron saint for trafficking victims and declared thus by the late Pope St. John Paul II.
Amongst those in attendance at Archbishop O’Reilly’s Installation today were; the Irish Apostolic Nuncio Archbishop Charles John Brown, the Aide de Comps for both the President and Taoiseach, retired former Cashel & Emly and also former Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Cloyne Archbishop Dr Dermot Clifford, numerous Diocesan Bishops, Rev. Mgr. Christy O’Dwyer, historian and retired Rev. Mgr. Dr Maurice Dooley, Clergy and Christians from Diocese both at home and abroad, including Archbishop O’Reilly’s former Killaloe Diocese; the latter whom he had served as Bishop since 2010.
Others attending included members of his Religious Congregation, latter the Society of African Missions, Senior Gardaí, personal close family members and friends including his mother, together with numerous Sporting Personalities, Politicians, County Councillors and their chosen representatives.
As at going to press tonight a live stream by A.V. Star Systems in partnership with Flexiweb showing today’s events can still be viewed on line at http://new.livestream.com/accounts/3124721/events/3788067
Your Grace, “Céad Míle Fáilte Romhat” to Thurles, Co Tipperary.
“Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honour, especially those who labour in preaching and teaching.” (Timothy 1: Chapter 5: verse 17).
Tomorrow Sunday (February 8th 2015) we here in Cashel & Emly Archdiocese, welcome and celebrate the Installation of our new, soon to be Archbishop, Kieran O’Reilly, SMA, in the Cathedral of The Assumption, Cathedral Street, Thurles, [Map Ref.].
Bishop Kieran O’Reilly, a native of Cork and who was appointed Archbishop of Cashel & Emly on November 22nd 2014, was born on August 8th 1952 to parents Mr Seán and Mrs Theresa O’Reilly. He was educated at Presentation Brothers and Scoil Chríost Rí, before entering the Society of African Missions in Wilton, Cork in 1970. Bishop Kieran was officially ordained for the Society on the 17th June 1978 and served in Liberia for two years before studying for a Licentiate in Sacred Scripture at the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome. From 1984 to 1989 Bishop Kieran was lecturing in Scripture at the major seminary in Ibadan, Nigeria and from 1990 until his appointment as Bishop of Killaloe, he served on the Irish and International Councils of the Society of African Missions.
At the time of his appointment he was serving his second term as Superior General of the Society of African Missions. He was ordained as Bishop of Killaloe on August 29th 2010 in succession to Bishop Willie Walsh, latter who had retired as Bishop of the Diocese on completion of his 75th year as spiritual leader.
Amongst those expected to attend Bishop Kieran’s Installation tomorrow will be his family, his religious congregation, the Society of African Missions, representatives of his former Killaloe Diocese, latter where he has served as bishop since 2010, as well as the people and priests of the Cashel & Emly Archdiocese.
For those of the Cashel & Emly Archdiocese and others unable to attend this Installation Ceremony, the event will be broadcast on Tipp Mid-West Radio via our local parish link (106.4FM). The event will also be streamed live by A.V. Star Systems in partnership with Flexiweb, and can be viewed simply by clicking the following link; http://cashel-emly.ie/.
Parking facilities tomorrow will be facilitated in the car park to the rear of the Munster Hotel and in the grounds of the Presentation Primary school opposite. For logistical and safety reasons the Cathedral Courtyard and the grounds of St. Patrick’s College will be closed to parking following 10.30am Mass. Disabled Parking will be made available on Cathedral Street and in this regard the cooperation of the visiting public in relation to such parking is crucial.
In order to ensure accommodation at this ceremony it was required to allocate seats by tickets issued by the Diocesan Office and all those attending the ceremony are therefore required to be seated by 2.30 p.m. at the latest, thus ensuring the dignity of the ceremony.