Irish Phrase Of The Day

"Cad atá ar súil agat ?" - What are you doing?

Calendar

August 2014
F S S M T W T
« Jul    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Support Us

Help keep Thurles.info online and free of ads by donating below. Thank you.


We Support

No Financial Approval For Templemore Garda Recruits

Templemore Garda Training College

Templemore Garda Training College

Current Garda strength will now continue to diminish, until at least the summer of 2015, because of a failure to financially approve the first batch of Garda recruits to Templemore, since the moratorium on recruitment was introduced by the then Government five years ago in 2009.

In early December 2013, former Minister for Justice Allan Shatter and Tipperary TD Noel Coonan had given a commitment, both promising that an initial fresh intake of recruits, on a rolling basis, would enter the gates of the Garda College in Templemore, by the end of this month.

This deadline will not now be met as the resumption of recruitment has not, to date at least, been financially approved. The aim of the Government had been to maintain the force’s strength at 13,000, a figure which had been described as “bottom line” by former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan, latter who was forced to resign earlier this year.

It had been promised that the initial 100 successful recruits, later chosen from some 25,000 applications, would be joined by two similar batches to be introduced at three-monthly intervals between now and early in 2015. These new successful recruits were informed that they would be given time to deliver one month’s notice to all current employers, which means that if financial approval was granted this week no new recruits would be in place before September 2014 at the very earliest.

Garda strength has already shrunk to around 12,930 and will fall significantly more before fully qualified recruits are on the streets for the first time, as part of their overall two-year training and assessment programme.

Be Sociable, Share!

No Garth Brooks Concerts This Summer

The Dance.  

And now I’m glad I didn’t know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I’d have had to miss the dance.

(Lyrics GARTH BROOKS)

Disappointment for Tipperary’s Garth Brooks fans tonight with news that the Country Singer has confirmed in a statement that he will not now play any concerts at Croke Park this summer.

Ticket refunds will go ahead for the 400,000 fully paid up fans from 9.00am on Thursday next, July 17th, through Ticketmaster.

In an announcement from Aiken Promotions the promoters state; ” Aiken Promotions regret to announce that despite pursuing all possible solutions, the 5 concert Garth Brooks Comeback Special Event at Croke Park are cancelled.  No concerts will now take place.”

Aiken Promotions also confirmed this evening that it had pursued “all possible solutions,”  in their attempt to get the concerts back on track.

Mr Brooks said his heart was broken and he was crushed over the failure to stage the five events. He further stated; “To say I am crushed is an understatement, all I can see is my mother’s face and I hear her voice. She always said things happen for a reason, as hard as I try, I cannot see the light on this one.”

Mr Brooks had been scheduled to play five concerts at Croke Park on consecutive nights at the end of this month, starting on Friday 25th, however, licences were only granted for three of the shows and Mr Brooks refused to go ahead on that basis.

Someone else has suggested that Hotels who refuse to now refund pre-paid accommodation, clients at a loss should contact the St Vincent de Paul (Phone: 01- 4542181) supplying full details and offer this paid accommodation to some of Dublin’s homeless families or individuals living on the street; well it would give these forgotten individuals an idea of how highly paid politicians live; for one or two nights at least.

Be Sociable, Share!

Thurles Sensory Gardens Unveiled

“Consciously or unconsciously, every one of us does render some service or other. If we cultivate the habit of doing this service deliberately, our desire for service will steadily grow stronger and will make, not only our own happiness, but that of the world at large.” (Quote by Mahatma Gandhi)

It all began just one year ago to the very day, when Co Galway native Commandant Michael Walsh (Retd & former aide de camp to H.E. the President of Ireland) returned from his trek having completed his walk along the Ancient Pilgrims Route, known as “The Way of St James,” ending eventually in Santiago de Compostella Galicia in Spain.

“The Way of St. James” you will remember was one of the most important Christian pilgrimage routes taken during medieval times and legend holds that St. James’s remains were carried by boat from Jerusalem to northern Spain, where he was buried on the site of what is now the city of Santiago de Compostela.

Click HERE for HD (High Definition) Video

This walk in the company of fellow fund raiser Yvonne Tyler had started in Holycross, Co Tipperary on Sunday 7th of April 2013 and had finished on July 11th of the same year. The original goal of Michael and Yvonne’s three month trek, was to increase an awareness of Autism not just locally but nationally here in Ireland and highlight not just its effect on family members and persons with Autism, but also to raise much needed funding for two specific Autism related charities, namely the Tús Nua Autism Residential and Resource Centre here in Thurles and Cottage Autism Network based in Co Wexford.

To use a somewhat military phrase, possibly used on occasion by Michael in the past; prior to his retirement from army life was “The mission has been accomplished,” and one year to the day, on July 11th 2014 to mark his safe return, two new ‘Sensory Gardens’ have been opened here in the magnificent Rehab Resource Centre situated at Stradavoher in Thurles.

For those less familiar with the concept of a sensory garden, same is designed with the purpose of stimulating the senses. The stimulation occurs courtesy of plants and the correct use of materials that engage one’s senses of smell, sight, touch and of course sound. These types of gardens are popular with and extremely beneficial to young adults who have sensory issues, including disabilities which include Autism.

Unveiling the gardens to the public for the first time to the Tipperary public, M/s Colleen O’Sullivan (Manager Thurles Resources Centre) pointed out that this wonderful new asset could not have been achieved without the collaboration of wonderful caring people from the backgrounds of business, charitable societies, family, friends, neighbours and her own greatly valued and caring staff members. M/s O’Sullivan was particularly complimentary of students at Thurles Community Training Centre who assisted in the construction of the landscaping and also generously donated a garden bench, latter professionally constructed by the students themselves, during recent woodwork classes.

Colleen’s remarks were once again echoed by Michael Walsh who thanked specifically; Mr Frank Alley and his Dundrum Nursery’s Team, Thurles Rotary Club, Thurles Lions Club, Thurles Community Training Centre, L.I.T Thurles, Lisheen Mines, Colaiste Eile, Upperchurch and Holycross Communities, Sr Eilis Bergin, Trica Treacy, Mary B.Lanigan-Ryan, the Rita and Matty Stapleton Nursery’s, the friends and families of those attending the Resource Centre and the many volunteers who turned up on late evenings to ensure the garden’s transformation from previous waste ground.

A basket containing Prayer Flags (Ribbons) inspired by Sr Eilis Bergin and walking companion Yvonne Tyler was also on hand in true ‘Tibetan’ tradition. Those in attendance were invited to tie a ribbon to espalier training wires, latter bearing sweet smelling Jasmine, as a reminder of the call to prayer for the future welfare of all humans everywhere, working together and thus encouraging the traits of Virtue, Goodness, Healing and Happiness.

The next stage to be progressed in this garden will be a special water feature. Same is currently being specially designed by Tipperary renowned sculptor Philip Quinn, Holycross, Tipperary.

Following the unveiling, visitors were entertained to refreshments specially provided for this truly most special of occasions.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tipperary 17 Points Spare Over Offaly

HurlingTipperary are through to the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship quarter-finals.

Tipperary ran riot over Offaly yesterday, registering a 17 points win at O’Moore Park, Portlaoise in front of 9,500 spectators, leaving the final score board reading – Tipperary 5-25 (40 pts) – Offaly’s 1-20 (23 pts).

Within the first five minutes of this game, Tipperary were demonstrating an altogether superior level of hurling, with Lár Corbett, Seamus Callanan and Patrick Maher waltzing around their opponents in classic Tipperary fashion.

Callanan set up Lar Corbett for his first opening goal and 90 seconds later Patrick Maher (Man of the Match) had made it 2.00 (6 pts) to nil, before even half of the Offaly team had got a feel of the sliotar.

Offaly eventually answered with 3 points courtesy of Brian Carroll, but these were quickly cancelled by D. Maher, S. Callanan and J. Woodlock, to leave the score at 2-03 (9 pts) to 0-03 (3 pts) after just 14 minutes of play.

Offaly responded with points from D. Currams, C. Parlon, B. Carroll and S. Dooley, but Corbett rifled home his second goal in the 27th minute to open up a five-point lead. Both Corbett and Callanan added further Tipperary goals before half-time with the final score at the first period reading, 4-09 (21 pts) to 0-11 (11 pts)

Offaly came on in the second half with obvious intent on rectifying earlier issues.  Colin Egan tapped home a goal for Offaly within a minute of the throw-in and together with Carroll hauled the opposition back to within four points after 48 minutes.

With a score line which had reached 4-11 (23 pts) to 1-16 (19 pts) and Offaly in arrears, once again Tipperary sprung into action and in the space of less than six minutes had fired over six unanswered points via the stick work of Corbett, Bergin, O’Dwyer and Stapleton, thus restoring to Tipperary a 10 point lead.

Callanan would eventually ‘seal the deal’ with a fifth goal in injury-time, thus ensuring an overall 17 point margin before the full-time whistle. Latter player however was forced to go off injured after he was caught across the wrist area by Niall Wynne while driving this latter shot on target.

Tipperary Scorers: S. Callanan 2-10, (16 pts), L. Corbett 2-2, (8 pts), Patrick Maher 1-1 (4 pts), K. Bergin 0-4 (4 pts), D. Maher 0-2,(2pts) and J. Woodlock, J. O’Dwyer, N. McGrath, E. Kelly, J. Forde & T. Stapleton 0-1(1 pt) apiece.

Tipperary Team: D. Gleeson, P. Stapleton, P. Maher, M. Cahill, B. Maher, J. Barry, C. Barrett, K. Bergin , J. Woodlock , G. Ryan, P. Maher, J. O’Dwyer, N. McGrath, S. Callanan and L. Corbett.

Subs: D. Maher for G. Ryan;  T. Stapleton for C. Barrett; E. Kelly for J. O’Dwyer; S. McGrath for J. Woodlock and J. Forde for P. Maher.

Referee: Alan Kelly. (Galway)

Be Sociable, Share!

Minister Alan Kelly Intervenes In Croke Park Concert Issue

DSC_5766

Minister Alan Kelly

Tipperary’s new Labour Deputy Leader and Environment and Local Government Minister Mr Alan Kelly, is understood to be intervening in the Garth Brooks debacle, in an attempt to broker a new deal that would allow all five concerts to continue at Croke Park.

A new small glimmer of hope emerges that those negotiating the five concerts may now find a common bargaining chip, has come about since it emerged that almost 40% of submissions, sent by local residents, latter objecting to the July Garth Brooks’ Croke Park concerts, are in fact bogus. To this end a criminal investigation in Dublin’s north inner city is now under way.

Some 380 objections to the five planned concerts forwarded to Dublin City Council while it sat to consider the concert licence issue, had become central to the local authority’s eventual decision to allow only three concerts to proceed.

Detective Gardaí are understood have called to at least a third of the 380 householders who allegedly lodged complaints against the concerts, to discovered that at least 35%c of same had no knowledge of any planning objections being sent forward in their names.  Fraudsters behind some lodged complaints stooped so low as to use the identities of people with intellectual disabilities, in their efforts to have the July concerts cancelled.

A statement regarding this ongoing saga is expected to emerge during the coming week.

Be Sociable, Share!
Page 8 of 464« First...45678910111213...Last »