The Cormackstown Heritage Centre, Holycross, Thurles, Co Tipperary is without doubt one of the largest single private collections of rural memorabilia to be found anywhere in today’s Ireland. Spanning some three centuries, these rare and now almost forgotten “tools of our once rural trade,” used to develop rural Ireland down the years, will go on display officially from Wednesday next, just a five minute drive on the outskirts of Thurles town.
“A Passage Through Time.”
So if you are out and about this coming weekend, why not spend an hour or two at the Cormackstown Heritage Centre and see for yourself this extensive array of historical artefacts, just a few of which are depicted in our video hereunder.
In the Cormackstown Heritage Centre expect to find:-
- A unique large dairy collection including an old style Creamery Laboratory.
- Experience at first hand the history of the Traveller and the tools of the Tinsmith.
- Experience the old retail shop and meet Margaret the Shop Keeper.
- Visit the old Pub complete with Barmaid.
- Take a trip back in time to view the tools of the Carpenter, the Cobbler, the Wheelwright and of course the Blacksmith’s Forge.
- Call into the Old School Room complete with its Teacher and her School Text Books from the past.
- Enter that old style, warm and welcoming Farmhouse Kitchen of the last century.
All of this and much, much more will make your visit to the Cormackstown Heritage Centre both enjoyable and educational and to the elderly visitor, will bring back fond and emotional memories of the good and bad experiences of times past.
(Click on directional Map Image left to enlarge picture.)
Note: The centre is available to all individuals / groups; including Educational, Pensioner and Retired persons and all are welcome.
This welcoming Venue will remain open, both for Daytime and Evening visits, with a Guide on hand to talk visitors through the myriad of artefacts currently on display.
Group Tours are advised to contact the Cormackstown Heritage Centre, Tel: 085 7131584 to book their visit in advance.
You can follow ‘Cormackstown Heritage Centre’ on Facebook simply by clicking HERE.
The Exhibition is highly recommended by the Tipperary tourism group Hidden Tipperary, latter who will visit the centre on Tuesday next March 4th, for their monthly meeting, beginning at 11.00am sharp.